Can anyone advise me, would this be good as DVR hardware?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and so far I'm loving Channels on my ATV using my Mac Mini i5 late 2012 model as the DVR/Plex server.

A local seller on facebook has this NUC machine for sale, it looks good to me as a DVR solution for Channels, as I want to build an affordable Channels solution for a friend.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthWestLaptops/posts/1726066001022077

Ideally I'd like it to be able to run as a Plex server too, but maybe that would be too taxing?

Any advice welcome :slight_smile:

Obviously I’d need more storage, but I was thinking of just replacing the HDD with a 2tb drive and installing Linux.

I can’t see the link, because I’m not on FB, but if you had the NUC model, that would be good.

Sorry, I didn't realise that the link wouldn't be visible, here's a screenshot of the sale post:

The CPU in that model does not support QuickSync, so it would not be able to transcode in hardware.

Since you’re looking to just replace the SSD in that with a 2tb HDD, and since it comes with WAY more ram than you would need, you’d be better off buying a brand new NUC yourself for that price.

I’m not sure about the prices in the UK, but in the US a new modern NUC of that tier is about $129 and will be way faster and support hardware transcoding. You shouldn’t need any more than 2GB of ram to run Channels and Plex, but you could always splurge.

1 Like

Well I was looking at this one on amazon

Yeah that’s the one to get. It has a 7th gen Celeron in it. That’s the fastest of that tier of Nucs and is a great price. 2gb of ram will probably keep you still under the 140 they were asking.

1 Like