Can Channels play recordings from MythTV?

I’m a LONG time MythTV user, and I use an HDHR Prime as my tuner.

I have heard goo things about Channels, but as a long time DVR user, I have little use for live TV.
What I do want is to eliminate another device and replace my mythfrontend with an Apple TV App.

For a few release now, MythTV has had a set of services APIs that make it straightforward to hook into a MythTV backend.

Any possibility of MythTV from Channels?

Sorry, Channels only works with our DVR backend.

Looks like there’s atleast one ATV frontend available for MythTV: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28921

We chose to write our own backend because it gives us full control over the integration, and lets us push out fixes and features as fast as possible. There are many features in Channels DVR that are not readily available in other DVRs, and the ATV client is able to take full advantage of them.

One quick example is our real-time sync engine. Say you have two ATVs, and you open the same recording details page on both of them. Clicking ‘mark as watched’ on one of the ATVs will instantly and automatically sync that change to all other clients. So the second ATV will also show the recording as watched and change its button title to ‘mark unwatched’, with you having to do anything or even touch the remote.

FYI - I have been using the MythTV Apple TV App for over a year - It is a simple, effective, rock solid app for only viewing recorded shows (no live TV). You can FF/RW/Delete recorded shows - that is the only functionality of that app.

The Channels App is a full feature app - two very different apps, with very different purposes.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I do use the MythTV app, and it’s good, but not good enough to be a primary DVR frontend. There are issues with FF/REW, in particular when watching programs which are still recording. FF/REW is also a little slow and results in video blocking as you skip ahead/back.

There are a large number of MythTV users out there looking for a good frontend replacement. GIven the existing HDHR integration, it seems like it wouldn’t be a huge effort to integrate another network stream source in the MythTV APIs. Personally, I would be willing to pay a premium for a MythTV support in-app purchase.