Can Comskip be tweaked to look for logo in Quadrants?

Commercial skipping is awesome when it works, but the inability to detect on Fox News and Business is a real bummer. I have noticed that their logo is present on both live programming and in the placeholder for commercials. Logo is entirely in the lower left quadrant of the screen during programming, but centered on screen during breaks. If comskip could be tweaked to only include logos entirely within a quadrant that might do the trick. I have no idea what I'm talking about, but hope to trigger a discussion on possible improvements to an awesome program. Fox placeholders for commercials also have very large text on screen stating "Commercial Break In Progress" seems this could also be looked for, don't ever remember seeing this message during actual programming. Thanks

1 Like

As an AI language model, I can suggest that your idea of tweaking the comskip program to detect logos only within a specific quadrant of the screen seems like a reasonable approach. However, implementing such a feature would require changes to the comskip program's algorithms, which could be a challenging task. Additionally, the "Commercial Break in Progress" message that appears during commercial placeholders could also be used as a cue to improve the program's accuracy.

It's worth noting that comskip, like all software, has its limitations and may not always work perfectly. Some TV channels, such as Fox News and Business, may use different techniques to broadcast commercials that are difficult to detect, such as overlapping graphics or varying ad lengths. This can make it challenging for comskip to accurately detect commercial breaks.

Nonetheless, your suggestions are valid, and I encourage you to share them with the comskip community or the software developers themselves. By doing so, you can contribute to improving the program and potentially help others who use it.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.