Can no longer tune ATSC3 when off LAN

My setup is similar. It does this 10 out of 10 times, same speed, across all your ATSC3 channels?

it takes 16 seconds to acquire the signal from my local CBS station, WWL. If I hit record from the guide it records without hesitation(because I am already tuned to the station). All my wife's shows are queued for the rest of the night on 1.0. I will pick something that is on in the middle of the night and let you know tomorrow.

1 Like

16 seconds to tune WWL in Channels DVR. do you have the HDHR app on any of your devices on the LAN? Try tuning it with the HDHR app 4 or 5 times, how long does it take to tune? Now try 4 or 5 times with the Channels DVR app to compare.

The stations which are slow advertise two audio tracks but only one has data. The app waits to receive second audio until finally giving up. SD confirmed this is a known issue with some broadcasts. We will look into workarounds to speed this up.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for your great work!

Using the HDHR program on my computer, I get an "unable to play channel, no video data" on all the 3.0 feeds. The unencrypted ones play fine through the channels web interface on my computer. Interesting.......

I say you definitely have a problem you should post in Silicondust forum. Or you do not have the HEVC extension Installed on your computer,

HEVC Extension ...
Play High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) videos in any video app on your Windows 10 device. These extensions are designed to take advantage of hardware capabilities on some newer devices— including those with an Intel 7th Generation Core processor and newer GPU to support 4K and Ultra HD content. For devices that don’t have hardware support for HEVC videos, software support is provided, but the playback experience might vary based on the video resolution and PC performance. These extensions also let you encode HEVC content on devices that don’t have a hardware-based video encoder.

1 Like

Channels is probably Transcoding.

I just checked - HVEC codecs are installed.

This is not really a problem for me since I never use the HDHR program. Things work fine in Channels.

Did you get the extension from the APP Store ? 99 cents

I tried to, but it told me I had already installed it.

I installed 20230303 today and there is no change regarding the issues above.

Finally - My conputer really struggles with MS Store for some reason. The unencrypted 3.0 stations play fine on my computer now using HDHR program - thanks.

1 Like

Channels DVR is just too slow to tune the Channels even locally ... The HDHomeRun app tunes much quicker with the latest firmware updates.

I updated to 20230316beta1 firmware and the issue seems to be fixed to for me!

2 Likes

How long does it take to tune? It started to tune remotely for me on the previous beta1 with a ~15 second tune time. Still long 15sec tune on new 316 beta

Most of the time, with my limited testing, it took about 4-5 seconds. Every once in a while there was an outlier that was 11-15 seconds. This was on an Android phone (Pixel 7 Pro) and a onn 4K Streaming box. Are you using your ISP's DNS servers? How long does it take to tune the ATSC1 stations?

Yes isp’s dns. My atsc1 channels tune remotely in 3-4sec on both original and transcoded quality. My home upload speed is 1gb fiber. It takes about 10sec to load the problem atsc3 channels on home lan. I’m glad it’s fixed for you but it definitely needs more work in tune times.

At least now with the changes to channels timeout length and the hdhr beta they can be tuned remotely unlike before when they would fail and load the atsc1 channel.

I also have fiber. Speeds are around 800+ upload. I use Original quality only.

I did some more testing today. The ATSC1 and ATSC3 channels have roughly the same tuning times when remote, however the ATSC1 channels tune in slightly faster on LAN. Seems like my CBS ATSC3 channel regularly takes the longest to tune out of all on average. Some devices have a hard time playing back the Fox ATSC3 channel smoothly unfortunately. It is choppy and has lots of dropped frames. The Nvidia Shield plays it back fine however.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.