Can’t install on Windows

I keep trying to do a Channels DVR install on a new Windows machine, but it silently fails. One of two things happens, usually the first about 90% of my attempts:

1. When running the installer, the screen only shows “Fetching latest version number…” and then updates to showing the “Open DVR Settings” and “Stop DVR Engine” buttons

• In this scenario, the ProgramData/ChannelsDVR directory is empty, clicking the “Open DVR Settings” button fails to load the webpage, and when foregrounding the Installer’s window again the button has changed to “Start DVR in System Tray”. Clicking “Start DVR in System Tray” restarts the cycle described in the bullet-point.
  2. When running the installer, after “Fetching latest version number…” is shown, it does find a version and start downloading it (maybe about 10-15%), then it does the same thing described in the bullet-point above.

• In this scenario, the ProgramData/ChannelsDVR contains an md5 file (I think that’s what the extension was), but it is 0 KB. There are no other files or subfolders.

I’ve tried redownloading the installer several times, rebooting my computer, disabling the firewall in Windows, and also disabling the firewall on my network, but unfortunately I’m not seeing any improvement.

Does anyone have other ideas or are there log files I can check somewhere too?

Thanks!

Did you try right clicking on Install file and run as administrator.

@Edwin_Perez Yep, I’ve tried both Run as Administrator and simply Open, but get the same results both ways

Try it manually, in the web browser: http://localhost:8089/admin/settings/status

Assuming you're sitting at the machine you're trying to install it on. I bet it's installed, you're just not connecting to it for some reason.

Make sure you are not running Windows in S mode.

This usually indicates some type of networking issue talking to Amazon AWS S3

Thanks everyone for your help! I just got it working.

The issue came down to IPv6. I have it enabled on my network to support devices that have a specific need for it, but have IPv6 disabled for my network’s internet.

Although the Windows box had both IPv4 and IPv6 address assignments (same as all other network devices) and all other apps and websites were working ok, it seems that maybe the Channels Installer app was only trying to use the IPv6. This is my conclusion at least, as I changed the IP settings on the Windows box to Manual and left IPv6 disabled and used the IPv4 values that were previously from DHCP.

Again, thanks all for your help and sorry for the confusion. Off to spend the rest of my Sunday getting my instance started! :smiley:

1 Like