Cannot get remote access on iPhone or iPad

Both devices work just fine if I am on my local network.
The problem is when I am on cellular data.
I have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet.
It does not allow bridge mode or port forwarding.
I have overcome this issue with Tailscale. I have Plex and my Pi Hole working just fine using Tailscale.
I can get on the Tailscale VPN while on cellular data and it works perfectly routing through my Pi Hole and blocking ads.
When I try and connect, while on cellular, I get an error saying it can not find my server.
I click connect, home, and then type the IP address that my DVR is on (Synology).
It fails.
Interestingly, if I type the same address in the Safari toolbar I get the Channels DVR control panel just fine.
So I have a connection to the server, it just won't connect via the app.
I can use that interface to watch shows on my DVR.

Can you try the latest TestFlight build and let me know if it performs any better? There's something funny going on that I don't quite understand.

Check under iOS settings>channels and make sure the app has access to cellular data

Also while I’m not sure about tail scale some vpn apps have settings that you have to allow access for an app to be able to use the vpn connection. Check within tail scale to see if this is the case to allow channels to connect to tailscale

I failed to mention I have tried the beta version, same result.

Cellular is toggled on.
In regards to the part you mention about configuring Tailscale, doesn't the ability of me to get to the control panel of the DVR via Safari rule out any connection problem with Tailscale?

Either those settings are within tailscale or not. If they are not then I would say yes tailscale is set up correctly. Native first party web browser vs third party app that isn’t a web browser may have different default access settings from the vpn.

@thundermustard could you try it again with the latest beta and then submit diagnostics from the app? I'd like to see the latest diagnostic logs.

1 Like

Done.