Cant find server Every time!

A new user here and getting pretty frustrated by this . I run the server and client on an Nvidia Shield with a static IP yet Channels DVR regularly says it cant find the server and I have to manually add the IP followed by 8096. This can't be right surely?

The server runs on port 8089. You should be able to enter just the up address of the Shield.

But seeing that it’s running on the same computer it should have no issues auto discovering it.

Please submit diagnostics from the connection screen and we’ll be able to see what’s going on. Report here once you do that so we can find them.

Sorry yes my mistype.
I actually sorted it now by reinstalling and going to dvr-shield-local:8089 on a PC (which I didn't know I could until searching the forum)
So the DVR is running but I couldn't set up the same location for recordings so now I need to know how to change the recording directory please so I get recover whats already recorded .

Go to http://dvr-shield.local:8089/restore to pick a backup from the Database folder

Back again with same issue repeating.Really impossible to use Channels DVR on my Shield if it keeps failing to see the serve ,even when it's running on the same machine. I can enter the IP address and it still can't find the server. Diagnostics sent

Are you able to click and load this: http://192.168.1.169:8089/troubleshooting

If so click Submit Diagnostics on that page

Thanks for the support. I couldn't load the link so have now installed the server app on my Qnap NAS. So far that's working fine and I'm able to watch on the Shield plus record to the NAS which is a better option for me .l'll give it a few more days to see if it retains the server address before I consider signing up beyond the trial.

Back again and now I can't access the server on the NAS. Diagnostics uploaded. Very frustrating.

BTW unable to load troubleshooting eiyher

Try restarting from the QNAP apps interface then submit diagnostics from troubleshooting

After having the Channels setup running smoothly on nVidia Shield Pro for over a month, suddenly this morning the client app can't find the server. Done all the generic troubleshooting (short of reinstalling the client app):

• Restarted the Shield.
  • Channels app runs fine on the phone.
  • Checked Settings, nothing suspicious (hardly anything customized, really).

Entering the IP address of the server solved the problem. But I'm afraid if the server IP address changes, the client will break again, and my mom will call for emergency support again. :wink:
I very much suspect this is a regression in the last update of the client app (though I haven't tracked the version history to know when an update happened).

Client:

Channels v4.0.1
    NVIDIA SHIELD
    AndroidTV 9 API/28

Server:

Version 2021.08.12.0054
    OS  NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV
    Android
    *(kernel: 4.9.140-tegra-g19e7acaac93b)*
    CPU  4 cores / ARMv8 Processor rev 1 (v8l)
      *load averages:  2.52  2.32  2.35*
    RAM  2.88 GB
      *39.8% free*
    NET  1 interface
      *192.168.1.55*

Strange. What if you put in 127.0.0.1 for the IP

Submit diagnostics from the client app so we can see what the connection error is.

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Entering 127.0.0.1 also worked. Good idea to make the setup stick.
I'll follow up about the client logs via the support email since it takes a little explaining.