Can't Get Past the $8 Price Tag

Call me a cheap ass but I haven’t signed up for the DVR yet because I can’t get past the $8/mo price point. I read through a similar post and appreciate all the arguments but still haven’t pulled the trigger. I purchased the original Channels AppleTV app long ago when I was running an HDHomerun Prime with CableCard. I didn’t worry about DVR because I had Media Center at the time but it is dying.

I’ve since become a cord cutter and am running the HDHR Connect. I now run every TV in the house with an AppleTV. The Channels App still works great with my OTA lineup. However, in looking for a DVR here’s what I’ve found:

• Plex: free server, free TV app, free phone/iPad app. $5/month (or $120 lifetime)
  • Tablo: $200 hardware, free app for TV/phone/tablet. $5/month ($150 lifetime)
  • SimpleTV: $200 hardware, free apps. $60/yr
  • GetChannels: $25 TV app, $15 phone/tablet, $8/month

2 YEAR COST OF OWNERSHIP:

• Plex: $120 (caveat…currently is DVR-only. No live TV. Must record show before watching)
  • Tablo: $350 w/lifetime DVR
  • SimpleTV: $320 (only 1 tuner)
  • GetChannels: $232
  • Tivo - way too pricey but worth mentioning

(Did not count the $120 cost of the HDHomerun Connect since I already own it)

Breaking down the numbers makes me feel a little better. The fact that others are able the charge just $5/mo still burns the cheapskate in me. Of all these competitors, the Tablo is the most interesting to me but, I’d be well into year 4 of the Channels package before seeing a savings.

Perhaps if channels offered annual or lifetime subscriptions at lower rate?

4 Likes

I enjoy the community here but I understand your point. I have been so good for a few months to not use my lifetime TiVo Roamio that I still have running and recording shows. Last night was my breaking point, went to go watch Big Bang and it was glitching so I said that’s it, and changed inputs over to TiVo. I wanted to have a solution that was all driven through ATV as well, but personally will continue to rely on my TiVo (lifetime product sub) and use ATV for Plex, Netflix, HBO go, etc.

This is very hard for any developer as you have every user leveraging different hardware…I get it, not a ding on them or their incredible efforts. I will keep an eye on this and watch for developments in the months to come as I do enjoy it’s functionality on the ATV.

I debated for a while on the DVR also.
I have a lifetime plex membership but I missed live TV and watching a show from the start while it’s recording. I find the interface on Channels is a lot cleaner than plex. I was waiting for plex to get live TV, but they seem to only update the DVR once every 3-4 months.

I think what made me pull the trigger was the ability to cancel the DVR subscription whenever I want. I’ve been using it for a couple months and with frequent updates it gets better all the time. Love the fact that Channels DVR auto updates, I just signed up the in laws and don’t have to worry about updating for them like I did with plex server.

Since I’ve joined I’ve been watching the forums here and it’s very active, not sure how many developers are working on the DVR but they seem to be able to fix any problems and add new features.
So for me, it’s the best DVR out there right now, and to be honest I always test a service for a few months before I spend the money on a year/lifetime membership anyway.
That being said, now that I’ve used it for a few months I would go for a year membership if it was offered. I’m sure the developers are probably looking at this.
All I can say is try it out and see if it works for you, your not locked in.

1 Like

The problem I see is getting a decent DVR costs money and lousy DVR’s can cost more. The DVR provided by my cable provider is $20 / month and is just horrible. That being said my cost for channels dvr over two years is more expensive but it’s a better experience. I can say after using Tivo (2002 model), Directv HR-services, Dish Hopper, Cable’s DVR’s and finally channels that the DVR is one of the best experiences since my original Tivo. That’s a compliment since the only other DVR I really liked was the Dish Hopper w/sling. The problem with the Hopper is the long-term cost.

I haven’t tried the other options, but the best part of channels is that I’m only out the monthly subscription fee if I do something else. The hardware I’m using for the DVR can be repurposed. This is much better than say paying Directv $300+ for lease upgrade fee where you don’t own the equipment. I find the subscription fee reasonable given guide data isn’t free, the software is being updated, and developers need their food :).

Take care,

Stephen

4 Likes

I went from $90 a month with Dish to now $43 with DirectTV Now plus Channels DVR. I paid $7 a month for my DVR service, but the software on the DVR probably hasn’t been updated in 10 years. In my experience DISH had the best DVR and was the only reason I stayed with them for so long. Once Channels came along it only took a month to make the switch. Now I’m saving $564 a year, and I own all my equipment. I’m happily paying $8 a month for a quality product that gets updated and enhanced almost on a daily basis. In my eyes $8 is a steal.

2 Likes

The comparisons to regular cable/satellite fees for DVRs and equipment are totally valid and make perfect sense. However, I had been running Windows Media Center for nearly 10 years so, other than a $2/mo cable card, didn’t pay a dime for DVR and owned all my equipment already. So, now that I’ve ditched cable even the $5/mo many competitors want is hard to swallow. Channels looks to me like the best option but I get stopped in my tracks at the price tag.

Side note, if Microsoft hadn’t abandoned WMC I’d still be using it. It’s guide/DVR is still far and away better than anything I’ve seen. It was the best product MS ever put out, IMHO, and they left it to die. :frowning:

I too had WMC and enjoyed only paying a few dollars for a cable card. WMC is no longer an option. But I don’t have problem paying for a quality product. At least I’m not under contract and besides I have easily wasted more than $8 a week in my lifetime. This is less than a lot of craft brews, coffee drinks, cigarettes (ex smoker here), or maybe even a combo meal at a fast food joint these days. At least I can use this $8 a month for a whole month of entertainment that lasts longer than 30 minutes.

2 Likes

IWell, the only thing I can add that I haven’t in the other threads is that I think it’s interesting that something that has 6 million users, to Microsoft that is “infinitesimally” small and a waste of time, yet there are so many small players in this space vying for those users. It was easy for Microsoft to dump a lot of money into their product back then and push through their solution for protected content, then throw it away. Blame good telemetry.

I think Plex and SD are the only ones that have a chance because Plex got funding, and SD has a hardware business to fund itself.

Since neither are ready for an Apple environment by themselves, Channels is the best game in town.

With streaming services taking off and providers like DirectTV,Sling,YouTube,Hulu, the niche is getting smaller. Limit it to AppleTV, and those who want to store content locally, and you have a very small subset of users to draw revenue.

SD relies on a 3rd party for Apple, and it’s no good. You can’t trust Plex and their lifetime, it’s already changed twice and they said that whenever they want they will put premium services outside the lifetime umbrella. Let’s face it, those investors want their 10M back, with profit.

I don’t know what’s going to happen in the next few years, with Trump in the WhiteHouse, this niche may stick around a while longer.

I’m not a content hoarder, so if it weren’t for local content, and special events, I would probably be streaming only. I actually bought all the apple TVs and channels, just to simplify input switching, having dumped my Bluray for iTunes.

With cable I didn’t like the nickel and diming. They should have just hid all that and just rolled it into a single charge and charged everyone for everything.

I prefer monthy service payments over anything else. I love pay as you go pricing. I would be mad if I bought a lifetime TiVo, then quit the whole thing.
I like looking at my checking account and knowing what life costs next month. Everything is moving to a subscription fee, and people need to get used to it.

Since $8 is too much for you, you have time to look at other solutions till this one leaves beta. Maybe when it does, you might find it worth the $8.

Since you already have the Channels app and the apple TVs, and evidently a PC, only Plex and Channels allow you to test their services for $5 or $8. Everything else is a huge purchase. Channels will coexist with other HDHomerun solutions just fine.

The only downside I see to Channels DVR for some people is that you can’t import content. It pushes some people to Plex. It doesn’t bother me as I delete all content after watching once.

1 Like

I’m mostly good with $8/mo. I’ve used some of the other services, and the online support just doesn’t compare; The devs here are amazingly responsive. I’m not saying that I wouldn’t like to pay less - I personally think $5/mo. is the sweet spot, and would like to see them lower the cost to that if it really takes off - but I’d far prefer to pay more and get a quality service than get a flaky one for less.

For someone that only watches around 6 shows/year that are not on mainstream TV, Netflix or Amazon Prime, and who hates commercial breaks and doesn’t like to channel surf, it works out far more cost effective to supplement broadcast TV with iTunes Passes and occasionally binge watching with one month Showtime or HBO subscriptions. If you haven’t done the math, I recommend it.

I am in the exact same boat. I have a TiVo Roamio OTA w/ Lifetime and a mini. It just works…and the commercial skipping is spot on. I did give the Channels DVR a chance, and I continue to monitor it for any significant updates as I would love to make it my whole home solution. I cancelled after my first month due to glitches, missing beginning of recordings and comskip not being as reliable as TiVo’s comskip.

I would gladly sell my TiVo and goto straight Channels app/dvr solution, when it gets solid. It just hasn’t made it to that point yet.

I mean no disrespect to the devs, they are doing an amazing job…I just can’t use it as mainstream until I can get my wife on board.

@karlmitchell brought up a good point I haven’t stated. That is my actually usage. We watch mostly Netflix and Amazon Prime. I don’t watch a single show on network TV right now.

The only thing I used to DVR was Walking Dead. My wife used to record Grey’s Anatomy…that’s it. So, what I’m looking at is that I’d like to have a DVR should I want/need to record something but we’re not heavy users. Occasional use only. So, again, at $8/mo, this is simply not a good value for the amount of use I expect.

ATT recently launched the promo of DirecTV Now + HBO for $10 if you go with Unlimited on their cell plans. We already had unlimited so I jumped on that! Compare the $10 I pay for DTVNow+HBO, $8 Channels is borderline ripoff.

I’ll keep an eye on it should things change.

I’d still love to see a “for life” subscription. It would be more up-front funds for fast development, and a way to reward early adopters that stick with it.

5 Likes

I would also agree with additional choice “for life” subscription between $100 - $130. I would be willing to pay for it right away. Like some folks here, I am very hesitant to commit $8/mo model. Hard for me to justify given I am paying lots of monthly subscription on other apps already.

Since it’s app driven, I don’t think a lifetime subscription is the best business model to follow. Getting a discount by paying for years could be a good way to do it… the longer you’re locked in the bigger the discount. $80 for prepaying for a year, $150 for 2 years, $220 for 3 years, $290 for 4 years, etc.

2 Likes

Between the web app and the apple tv app, Channels has completely transformed the way I use cable TV. If you don’t need a dvr then obviously don’t pay the $8/month, but I can’t believe anyone who uses this software more than a few times a week would complain about the price. Have you seen the silicon dust software for god’s sake?

2 Likes

I think Channels DVR is a steal for 8 dollars a month. Here is why:

1. Prior to channels my Comcast DVR bill was: $30
    (10 dollars for HD box, 10 Dollars for DVR, and 10 dollars for 2nd room box)
  2. You use an old PC, Nvidia Shield, Mac, or NAS to run the DVR.
  3. The commercial skip is not 100% accurate, but does a well enough job that it’s a usable feature.
  4. Developer support is 2nd to none.
  5. It’s Wife approved.

I would love for it to reduce to 5 dollars… but there isn’t enough competition out there to justify that change. Maybe if Plex ever develops a live TV/DVR product, then Channels will have to adapt to a competitive climate, but not today.

2 Likes

@A.Leon Plex has DVR integrated for those that are signed up for their Plex Pass bundle ($5/mo.). It’s just not a very nice user-interface IMO, with no traditional guide, and no live TV streaming. It is the cheaper option some would like, but I am happy to pay the extra $3/mo. for the better interface and support. https://www.plex.tv/features/dvr/

3 Likes

Absolutely agree with @A.Leon and @karlmitchell on all points. Channels DVR is the easiest, user friendly DVR solution available, bar none.

Ability to use web ui on almost every platform makes this solution the undisputed winner, imo.

I’ve not encountered any situation where the DVR records/retains more than I want. Playback is superb. Devs understand every request and are truly interested in making Channels the premier solution for all of our diverse requirements.

I’d much rather pay a few extra dollars per month to ensure continued support and improvements rather than settling for a second class solution which I would have to babysit or spend time developing workarounds.

Everyone in my non technical family can use Channels without my intervention. All :heart:️ Channels. This is the true test of functionality, imo.

2 Likes

You have to look at the big picture and your own use case. All of these different services can stack up fast if you’re not careful.

For me, the priorities are DVR, commercial skipping/free, easy-of-use (the spouse test), and access to the shows (both in terms of ability to get, and ability to watch on the road). I also like to have the flexibility to watch a show soon after broadcast (next day), but not to have to do so (preferably weeks later, in case of vacations).

I divide TV viewing for the sake of simplicity between non-cable (e.g. ABC, NBC), cable (e.g. Syfy, BBC America), premium (e.g. HBO, Showtime, Starz) and internet (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu). The internet and premium channels cost more-or-less the same whatever; In fact, if you don’t mind some time investment you can get them cheaper by subscribing over Apple TV by getting discount iTunes cards and/or binge watching them with occasional one-month subscriptions.

So you’re left with cable and non-cable. The newer cable services that have sufficient basic channels to be worth considering for me (Hulu Live, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling Blue) are in the $30-44/mo. range (including hidden DVR and commercial skipping fees). Furthermore, having tried most of them I’ve found that all of them have issues if you want to use them as DVRs (forced to watch commercials, no DVR functionality, missing channels, awful interface, unreliability, etc.). Only Playstation Vue ($40/mo.) offers both the full suite of channels that I personally want with dvr that you can fast forward through; I hate the interface, but it is functional, and I’m not a fan of DVR shows expiring after 1 month, but most of the time you can still watch them, albeit with commercials, in the individual channels’ apps. The rest require some sort of independent capability for the other channels or the annoyance of watching them with commercials (The CW’s Apple TV app for instance). So, $40/mo. is what I’m trying to compete with. At that cost, I figure Channels DVR sets me back maybe $8/mo. software, $8/mo. hardware (over 3-year cycle), leaving $24/mo. for iTunes season passes. At that rate I can buy season passes for around 8 cable shows/year and still come out ahead, which is actually more than I currently pay for (5-6 is more typical). You can also save money on iTunes passes by buying discount iTunes gift cards, which frequently are on sale for 10-20% off. If I was a sports fan, or had a larger family that watched more shows, this would probably work out very differently, though, so everyone should consider their own use case.

All in all, once you lump in Amazon Prime, Netflix, occasional Hulu and prime channel binge watching, Channels DVR, hardware costs, Plex Pass (a cheap luxury) and iTunes purchases, I probably end up paying $750/year all in for my TV, which is comparable with a fairly basic cable service to be honest ($60/mo. seems typical). But for that I get permanent copies of everything and the added value of being able to download/stream all of my content, and the original content of Amazon Prime and Netflix, as well as shipping perks and other effectively free stuff on Amazon. At that rate, the difference between $5/mo. and $8/mo. (so $36/year) seems a trivial amount to pay for better interface and support.

1 Like

Glad to see you join and test Channels. As you’ve already indicated, dev support is fantastic…and with so many of us requesting diametrically opposed requests I’m sure this is a nightmare for devs, but so far, somehow they have been able to accommodate.

Probably, at some point in time, they will have to request some compromises for certain use cases/users, but based on their track record I am willing to accept their restrictions/suggestions as Channels is the most user friendly, full featured DVR solution I have ever imagined.

Very glad to be a participant in this Beta.

1 Like