Can't reinstall Channels app on Shield

Previously I had the Channels app and Channels DVR server running on the same Shield with external storage.

I recently moved the Channels DVR server to a NAS and everything works fine.

Now I want to eliminate the external storage on the Shield.
I used the Shield tool to migrate the data from the external to internal storage.
I removed the external storage from the Shield.
All apps work - EXCEPT Channels - it disappeared.
When I went to reinstall the app from the play store it errors out and will not let me install Channels app. I tried numerous times but continue to get the message "can't install"
I plugged the external usb storage back in and now the Channels app is there and works.

Is this something easy to fix? I hate having a 1tb usb drive just for one app. Remember the DVR is running on a separate NAS.

Plug in the ssd and uninstall the server app. In the client app sync upload to server then uninstall client app. Remove ssd. Reinstall client app and sync download from server to get your favs and stuff back

1 Like

Can you post a photo of this?

What if you go into Settings > Apps > Channels DVR, can you force stop or uninstall there?

When I disconnect the external storage on the Shield - there is no Channels app anywhere

1 Like

Okay then it sounds like you have to reattach storage, go into the app, there you can either Uninstall or click into Storage details and move the app back to the internal storage.

Thw Shield does not give you the option of selecting what data to migrate - it's all or nothing. All the other apps except Channels migrated fine. For some reason the Channels app is not showing up.

I am afraid if I uninstall the Channels app from the external storage I will never get it back. I know how that sounds but I just don't want to lose everything.

I'm a bit confused as to where the client resides. Is it separate from the server ? Is it available separately?

You can move a single app between storages. You may need to enable developer mode first.

On your SHIELD are two completely separate apps, one is the DVR Server and the other is the client.

1 Like

Then what are you worrying about losing? So you have shows or something on the ssd that you didn’t import to the new nas dvr. Can you download channels whole home from the google play store?

There is always reset to factory default as a last resort but you won’t need it.

1 Like

But both apps are named Channels DVR? They're the same code right but act differently depending on where they reside?

The server app is named "DVR Server"

The client app is named "Channels DVR"

The code is completely separate

You seem to be worried about losing data. Did you follow the proper steps to migrate the server to the nas?

And move recordings to the nas?

Why is there only one app on the Play Store - Chanels whole house DVR?

My issue doesn't make sense - once the external storage is disconnected there should be no trace of the app. I suspect there is some leftover code preventing a new install. And if that is the case the chances are I still won't be able to reinstall after deleting it - removing the usb drive is the same as uninstalling it. Isn't it?

Only the client is on the Play Store. The server is sideloaded from the client.

Android OS is remembering that the app is installed on external and not letting you install it. That is my guess anyway. Removing the drive doesn't remove those database entries in the OS.

1 Like

Thanks. I'll work on this tomorrow - reluctantly deleting the app and trying a new install.

[SOLVED]
I finally figured out ifyou go into settings on the Shield
Settings - system Preferences - storage - select external storage - select Apps - select Channels DVR - select STORAGE USED
Up comes an option to move the app to internal storage!!!

I selected that, the Shield went through its thing
Presto, the Channels app is back on internal storage.
I disconnected the external usb drive and Channels is still there and working.
No more external storage on the Shield.I had no idea the Shield items in settings were all clickable, my bad.

1 Like

I documented this with some screenshots here: SHIELD DVR: New "Autostart on reboot" option for adopted storage users

I would never have connected that post to my issue but thanks - and you can say: "I told you so."

Funny though I never had that problem and never had to use the 'autostart' option. My Shield always worked fine until recently.