Channels DVR Server on SHIELD is typically used with added USB storage, which can be configured in two ways:
- formatted as exFAT or NTFS
- can be attached to other computers or devices to copy recordings
- can be moved to migrate the DVR to a new computer
adopted "device storage"
- formatted with encrypted android FS
- more space for all apps and their data
- can only be used with SHIELD
We recommend "removable" mode, so you can move your DVR to another platform easily by just moving the drive.
Some users may prefer to use "device" mode, to give other apps more space. Note that when attaching a new drive to the SHIELD, the OS will prompt you to convert it to device storage. Make sure you understand the pros/cons to make the best choice.
Some SHIELD models have very little internal storage, which can fill up quickly with apps.
The DVR server's databases are also stored in device storage, and can take up 1GB or more if you have lots of sources. This will further reduce the apps you can install.
By adding adopted storage, you increase the amount of storage available to all apps. This also includes the DVR client app, which can use more space for caching and for its time-shift buffer.
There is an issue on android where Channels DVR Server will not start automatically, only when you have adopted "device" storage attached (to provide more space to apps) and the DVR Server app has been moved there.
In this case, your DVR log will show /mnt/expand in the Starting line, like so:
In this scenario, you have two options:
- Move the DVR Server app back to internal storage
- Or: Use the new Autostart option to setup the helper APK
Each app can be installed on either internal or external device storage. The OS may move some apps automatically when they start using more space.
To move apps manually, you can go into Settings > App and click into the app. Then, where it shows the storage space used by the app, you can click to see another option which will let you move the app around.
If you prefer to keep the DVR Server on the external adopted storage, we now have an new option available in the client app: under Settings > Support > DVR Server > Enable Autostart on Reboot.
This involves installing a new background app (called "Channels DVR Autostart", visible under Settings > Apps > See all apps > System Apps). This app lives separately on the main internal drive, and can signal the DVR after a reboot when the external drive is finished loading.
To enable this option, you will need to do the following:
- Install or update to the latest beta testing app
- From the beta testing app, upgrade the DVR Server app (should show v1.2.0 in Settings > Apps)
- From the beta testing app, install the Autostart app