Captcha for TVE and YouTube TV

Yeah, I can do the nbc.com/live and it works fine. I get its not technically a Channels issue, but if there was a way to "See the captchia" so I could enter it... but yeah I'm trying to find any way around it.

No. TVE login is all done by automated script on the back end, no user interaction possible.
(though, i do wish they had the ability to do interactive login)

Are you using a VPN or anything like that? Those can trip those security checks.

Also, the Google account you are trying to use can not have 2FA enabled, that why it recommended to use a second Google account specifically for Channels, and NOT your main Google account as that should be secured with 2FA.

I have the same issue. Just signed up for YouTube TV, and I can not get pass the verify via text process. running the latest pre-release, chrome is up-to-date, 2FA is off, tired a new account, tried chrome incognito. Nothing seems to work. This is only going to increase as a problem overtime as user/pass dies. There needs to be a way to reverse proxy the page into the channels UI so it can be acted upon.

For those on Windows, Mac and non-NAS Linux machines, you can try the following to run chrome manually using the chromedata folder used by Channels. Login to YTTV or nbc.com/live manually in this chrome session, then exit it and try to have Channels sign in again.

chromium --user-data-dir=/home/channels-dvr/data/chromedata/YouTubeTV

/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --user-data-dir=$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/ChannelsDVR/data/chromedata/YouTubeTV

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --user-data-dir=c:\programdata\channelsdvr\data\chromedata\YouTubeTV

Hummm...I don't have a chromedata folder under the data folder.

Ah, its created when you add YTTV but I guess you haven't been able to add it yet.

I think you can mkdir it, or just run that chromium command and let it populate itself. Then it should be ready when you go to add YTTV

EDIT: Actually the directory is /home/channels-dvr/data/chromedata/YouTubeTV

For Hulu users it would be chromedata/Hulu

1 Like

Strange, I don't have a YouTubeTV folder there but I do have one for Hulu LiveTV which I tried briefly a couple of years ago before ending up with YTTV. So where is my YouTubeTV folder?

By the way, after a couple of weeks missing a few TVE channels with YTTV, I updated to the latest pre-release and was able to add most of those channels back. There are some channels that report "403: (access.denied.missingpackage)" - (channels 6108-6113) but I usually don't watch those and am not even sure if they are included with YTTV.

Good question. Using the mkdir command and then opening Chromium with the listed data folder path did not work. I guess I see the thought process here - have the login cached so when Channels runs, it does not need to login again. If I open Chrome with the same data path a second time and go to nbc.com/live, it does not even prompt me for a login. That you "do not" have a YouTubeTV folder makes me think the data folder being used by channels may be elsewhere - assuming this even works.

I have tried multiple things, but perhaps the --user-data-dir flag is not working when the channels script runs?

Can you check ps aux | grep chrom while channels is trying to auth? It should show the arguments and paths used

The output is:

--user-data-dir=/tmp/chromedp-runner{random-number}

It's actually listed twice, but the files/folders are being generated in the later call.

/usr/lib/chromium/chrome --extra-plugin-dir=/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chromium --ozone-platform-hint=auto --safebrowsing-disable-auto-update --disable-background-networking --disable-backgrounding-occluded-windows --disable-sync --force-color-profile=srgb --deterministic-fetch --disable-dev-shm-usage --disable-renderer-backgrounding --metrics-recording-only --disable-blink-features=AutomationControlled --disable-ipc-flooding-protection --disable-popup-blocking --mute-audio --disable-client-side-phishing-detection --disable-features=site-per-process,TranslateUI,BlinkGenPropertyTrees,VizDisplayCompositor --disable-prompt-on-repost --disable-gpu --no-default-browser-check --hide-scrollbars --enable-automation --user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/74.0.3729.157 Safari/537.36 --no-first-run --disable-background-timer-throttling --disable-hang-monitor --use-mock-keychain --enable-features=NetworkService,NetworkServiceInProcess --disable-breakpad --password-store=basic --user-data-dir=/tmp/chromedp-runner4177009808 --no-sandbox --remote-debugging-port=0 about:blank
1 Like

Please update to prerelease and try again

The pre-release is creating and using the proper data directory now. Unfortunately, even if I specify the directory in chromium and pre-login, the channels attempt still fails and I get the SMS auth page.

It seems the process fails at NBC.

It would be better if the process did not abort when one channel throws this error. It should continue on to try other channels and then give an error report when finished.

Kept trying and it finally worked.

Kept trying what? Details are appreciated.

I had done everything suggested - upgraded to latest pre-release, toggled local TVE setting, logged into NBC manually using the Channels data/Chrome folder, but it continued to fail.

I know that something usually triggers the request for a CAPTCHA, and that may be reset after some time, so I just kept trying every few hours and magically it worked. I concluded that it was FM!

This process worked for me when trying to re-authenticate. Had to use the pre-release but it worked in the end.

I have noticed, however, that the YTTV local channels are all missing.

YTTV and the authentication hoops are indeed challenging. I agree with the the OP's suggestion that it would be preferable if the YTTV addition could continue despite a one channels failure (like the NBC captcha problem). Reporting failures would be good but at least you could move past that.

Are these commands to be run in Terminal? As I mentioned in another thread, after having authentication work on one machine, I'm now at my wits end trying to move my install to another machine, where authentication doesn't work there. I tried running the first command in Terminal, and get a "command not found: chromium". I do have Chrome installed.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.