CDVR Server on "current" gen hardware. (Intel 12/13gen, Ryzen, TR+)

Has anyone had experience running Channels DVR server on "current" gen hardware? (as of 2023)

I am referring to Intel 12th, 13th gen hardware and also AMD current gen Ryzen/Threadripper, TR Pro etc.
(Intel fan here, have not used AMD hardware in long time, so not sure what is the new stuff on AMD side).

Intel starting with 12th gen cpu's have Hybrid core architecture. Performance cores, and Efficiency cores.
I have read that this change has caused some issues with some software early on, such as getting stuck only using the E cores. Plex apparently had some issues along with many Linux distros. I would think this been resolved by now, since 14th gen hardware is right around the corner.

Anyways, how does CDVR server play well with such modern cpus?
Is there any known issues such as with hardware decoding, transcoding, etc.?
Does the host OS make any difference in hardware compatibility? Linux based or Windows?

Com skip seems to be limited to 3 threads max on the admin UI. Could that be increased if one has a high core count cpu?

I can only answer your last question as I’m running on a M1 MacMini. I have the option of using up to 7 cores for commercial detection, so the threads do seem to be related to the number of cores the CPU has, at least on Apple Silicon (4 performance + 4 efficiency). That being said, I’ve never run more than 2, so I don’t know what running more would look like.

I5-10400

Is that then dynamic? It has only shown 3 threads for me. on Pi or the Mini pc i have. Must be locked to only show -1 core count of the cpu.

1 Like

Yea... i purposely not mention current M powered Macs, cause they so damn expensive and extreme overkill for a Channels DVR server. Unless u have a huge user base i guess. I know they basicly slaughter most mini PCs in performance.

I not gonna spend $1K pluss on one of those guys unless i could use it for other things, which, MacOS, is useless to me. I do use iPhone and AppleTV, but my PC use has to be Windows or Linux based.

Your cpu has 4 total threads if it is showing only 3 available. Mine is a 12 thread cpu so it shows 11 available to use for com skip.

1 Like

I have pretty much the same config as Rice, 11th gen, but it works great. I also run a SageTV server on the same machine, so there are (2) pieces of software launching comskip (I do launch comskip for live TV, though).

I'm in the process of building a i9-13900K and am looking forward to the general performance boost over the Core i5-750 that I built in 2010 and have upgraded until I just can't upgrade it anymore. The Core i5-750 still crushes my newer work computer running design software.

In any event, the 11th gen machine has proven to be a fantastic balance of performance vs. cost.

You should enjoy the i9-13900K. I upgraded to one a few months ago and its very fast. I'm using a 360 cooler and don't thermal throttle.

I run channels under TrueNAS with an AMD Ryzen 7 5700G. Performance is super with commercial skipping taking about a minute per hour of video. Channels dose not support hardware encoding on AMD CPUs yet the CPU is fast enough to do the job when I'm remote.