CEC Problem

It seems that Channels is somehow messing with the HDMI-CEC power on sequence. My aTV turns on my TV and receiver perfectly through CEC. However, anytime after I open the channels app and turn off the system, then during power on, the receiver is unlikely to turn on. The TV always turns on, but not the receiver. Once in a while it works, but rarely, after the Channels app has been opened.

I’ve performed many off, on sequences without ever opening the Channels app, and never have a problem.

I have no idea how the Channels app is influencing the power up CEC sequence, but so far that is the one variable that always causes the problem.

Has anyone else seen this?

Are you turning off by holding down the TV button and clicking sleep?

Do you do this when the Channels app is simply open, or while it’s actively playing a video stream?

Yes, I’m using the home button to put the aTV to sleep, which turns off the TV and receiver. I have done this with active stream, and while simply open. It doesn’t appear to matter what state the Channels app is in. I have also simply opened the app, never started a stream, then back to home and still have the problem. It really seems that it only takes opening the app to cause the problem.

As long as I never open the app, then I don’t have any problems.

Quite strange indeed. I’m not sure what we could be doing to cause that, especially since it sounds like something is happening at the tvOS layer to cause it.

You could try going into your ATV’s audio settings and try switching between “best available” and “dolby digital” to see if it makes a difference. Although, we don’t even do anything with the audio subsystem until you start watching a channel…

I’m very new to Channels. I got cable, HDHR Prime, and Channels installed yesterday. That said, I’ve been using ATV 4 and HDMI-CEC for a long time and it never works consistently well.

My HDMI connection is ATV->TV->Soundbar.

When I turn on ATV, about 90% of the time, everything turns on. The other 10%, the sound bar doesn’t turn on although the TV thinks it is on.

When I turn off ATV with a long press of home button to activate Sleep, about 99% of the time the TV doesn’t turn off although the sound bar does.

Many Internet forums of audio/video equipment seem to have such issues reported about HDMI-CEC. It just seems like an inconsistent spec/implementation.

What is your connection configuration?
Have you had HDMI-CEC consistently work right before Channels?

I’ll report back if I see anything unique with Channels and HDMI-CEC this weekend.

You could also try quitting the app to see if that makes a difference. Click the TV button on the remote twice and swipe up.

I had the exact same problem as hasenpfeffer, after using Channels, ATV ‘Sleep’ would turn off the TV and the receiver but pushing the home button then only turned on the TV (not the receiver). It had been working fine before I added the Channels app.

I tried a variety of things that didn’t work (including switching the ‘Audio and Video’ ‘Surround Sound’ options) before changing the HDMI input into the TV from HDMI1 to HDMI2. HDMI2 is the the one with ARC functionality, but I’ve no idea if that is relevant. Anyway, it all works fine now so I’m posting this as something to consider for anyone else with the same problem.

Loving Channels!

ARC is audio return channel. It is used so you can get full surround audio out from that HDMI cable to something like your sound bar (no other connections are needed). My soundbar displays “TV ARC” on it when connected this way. It works perfectly for my setup, and I sleep everything right from the Channels video feed. If I turn everything back on by click the touch surface of my AppleTV remote (instead of hitting the home button), then everything turns on exactly to the TV channel I was last watching.

ARC is audio return channel

I’ve been trying to keep track of my problem. It is not very consistent so it’s hard to make any conclusions. I also have kids that use the Apple TV and Channels, so I can’t keep close track on how they put the Apple TV to sleep or what apps they mess with.

I definitely am far more likely to have the problem (receiver not turning on through CEC) if I have Channels open (playing or not actually playing doesn’t seem to matter), put the system to sleep through the Apple TV, and then turn the system back on within a short period of time (< 20 minutes say). I’ll estimate this situation causes the problem >50% of the time.

If I leave the system off for a while (> 15 minutes say), then I have a far more likely chance that the system will come on correctly (the receiver turns on through CEC automatically as expected). I’ll estimate this situation works >90% of the time.

But, even then it’s not 100% either way.

Certainly no specific, easily reproducible procedure, unfortunately. I don’t believe it’s anything Channels is doing knowingly, and do believe it’s something within the OS. But Channels seems to have a part in it, as I don’t seem to have the problem when I haven’t used Channels.

I just wanted to document my experience even if nothing can be done.

I did try changing the Apple TV’s audio settings. This did not seem to have any effect.

I also have tried exiting the Channels app with up swiping. This also does not seem to have any grand effect. But, I’ll say that I did not keep scientific notes on what I tried and what the outcome was, so it’s hard to make any conclusions.

I have also tried changing the physical HDMI topology by connecting the Apple TV to the TV directly instead of the receiver as it is now. This did not seem to make any difference either.

1 Like

Did you try a different HDMI cable? Make sure it is at minimum HDMI 1.4.

1 Like

Yes, I tried new cables. No change in behavior.

1 Like

I have found that CEC can be unpredictable and highly dependent on the components. What TV and AVR?

I have a Samsung and Pioneer AVR and surprisingly, it has worked perfectly after initial setup. I typically leave a stream running when initiating the ATV sleep/power-off. When I wake it up/power-on, the stream begins perfectly.

I got rid of my receiver and replaced everything with SONOS 5.1 and it all just works flawless with CEC. Even better, the wife no longer has to ask me to help switching inputs. I do have an Octava HDMI switcher because I also have a Roku, FireTV Stick and an old Blu-Ray player. I also plan to use this switcher to change optical sources, but haven’t found time for this fun project, because I have to route the cables through walls and cabinets.

Channels was the final piece to make everything work from my Apple TV, thanks guys for this awesome piece of software.

2 Likes