Change MP4 to MPG

I have some old movie recordings from Windows Media Center that have been converted from .wtv to mp4. Is there a way that I can use handbrake or MCEBuddy to change them to a format (mpg) that Channels will recognize in the DVR movie section? I’d like to move completely away from WMC but I still have some recorded shows and movies I’d like to keep and have access to through Channels DVR.

I believe channels keeps track of their recordings in a DB so simply adding them to the Channels DVR folder will not work.

Channels does not currently support any kind of import functionality.

2 Likes

I understand that they currently don’t support importing outside content. Maybe this would be a good topic for the “hacks” section if it’s technically possible. I’m just looking for a way to finally remove myself from Windows 7 and Media Center. I keep hanging on because I have years of usage and recordings I’d like to continue to use.

2 Likes

use plex for those recordings

My goal is to be able to use one program (app) to view live tv and recorded tv/movies. I’m sure there are dozens of other apps (Plex) I can use for my Windows Media Center recorded tv and movies but it requires moving to other apps and breaks the experience. It also takes away from the simplicity To me it’s unorganized and inconsistent... visit multiple apps just to view my recorded tv? Especially when I really like the quality of Channels. I was simply looking to see if it’s an option.

You want the holy grail. We all do. :sunglasses: I had hoped it would be Plex, but its DVR and Live TV product are lacking. So I use it for my personal content and Channels for Live and DVR.

Lol! I do want the holy grail. The crazy thing is, Windows Media Center, for software that’s 10+ years old is still the most complete, polished, media center dvr I’ve used. I guess I’m stuck in my ways and want more of the same.

What Channels does do though, it does well!

I want this too.

1 Like

You built your own “plex” for personal use, release it!!! And do a pseudo tv type of thing for channels. Have you heard of pseudo tv for kodi? I want to make channels from my tv and movie collection.

I really want this too. Actually we did build something like this into our own plex alternative.

2 Likes

Stop teasing! Let me in!

I would like to see a Plex alternative.

2 Likes

Same here!

If it doesn't promise to also "wash the dog", I'm all for it. (Plex humor)

2 Likes

Same here. I do not like Plex live tv. Have some tv shows and movies downloaded from web and personal content. I also have mapped my Channels recordings as a source.
I download channels recordings on Plex for offline viewing purpose.
Plex alternative on Channels App will be a icing on the cake.

1 Like