Channel scan not being retained

Running Channels 3.1.15 on 3 AppleTV 4’s in our house, connected to an HDHomerun Connect Duo. All connections are ethernet. Around the time 3.1.15 came out, the app purged all channel info for all three installations. Scanning again finds the 186 channels it should be finding while the scan is progressing, then immediately purges them all and shows 0 channels available as soon as the scan completes. All AppleTV’s are running tvOs 11.3 (15L211).

Restarting all devices, and deleting and reinstalling Channels has not resolved the problem.

The HDHomerun is running the latest firmware. I should also mention the HDHomerun app on both macOs and Windows shows all channels and streams them fine.

Suggestions?

Run a channel scan directly on your HDHR and see what happens. You can find your HDHR’s channel listing page via http://my.hdhomerun.com

Running it directly through a browser finds all appropriate channels for streaming from the HDHomerun app on the computer. The AppleTV app is still not seeing them, though.

Once they show up on the hdhomerun there is no need to run channel scans from the Apple TV anymore. Restart the app (click TV/Home twice and swipe up), and it should load the channel list from the hdhomerun.

Regrettably, that isn’t doing it, nor is restarting the AppleTV, nor is power cycling it, nor is deleting Channels and reinstalling it.

What if you click and hold your HDHR in the app and select Refresh Device?

Can you take a screenshot of the HDHR web page listings and the app’s settings tab with the HDHR focused, and email to [email protected]

No, the refresh device does not seem to have any effect. Support info sent, if I understand what you’re looking for. Also included the system log.

I appreciate your responsiveness on this!

1 Like

Update: Frontier appears to have been providing corrupt channel names, and both SiliconDust’s servers and Channels were choking on that bad data. SiliconDust adjusted how it handled that information, and disabling those channels via the HDHomerun app has now allowed Channels to load the channel info file correctly.

graym/tmm1:

How exactly are you doing this? I have the same issue with my setup, but don’t know where/how to disable channels… Can you give me a heads up on how to fix this?

For future ref you should label responses with an @ symbol:

@graym and @tmm1

Thank you @DebbieFL

I loaded the HDHomerun app on the Mac and disabled everything, then added channels back one by one, until Channels crapped out again, then found the culprit to be METV… disabled it, but it’s a shame - can’t watch re-runs of Hogan’s Heroes, Twilight Zone, or the Carol Burnett Show. Any workaround for these “corrupt” channels?

Suggest you contact SiliconDust to report your problem with METV on Frontier. They do have a separate topic “Guide Issues” for these cases.
Be sure to create a new thread under this topic.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=127&sid=a1567cbcda1585bed33cc39df5498aba

They control the guide/channel lineup for their tuners…unless you are a Channels DVR subscriber.

@deanh From my interchange with SiliconDust, they saw two channels they couldn’t parse. From the mac HDHomerun app, I disabled those, and two others with symbolic names I couldn’t find via google, and that did the trick. I now realize I should have written down the channel names and numbers in case a future update on the part of either Frontier or Channels requires me to rescan for channels.

Email me [email protected] with lineup.jsom from your hdhomerun.

So for example if your tuner is 10.0.0.5 then open http://10.0.0.5/lineup.json and File>Save