Channels app and new tivo streaming stick

Thank you. Its clear now.

Changing channels with the remote numbers is working for me outside of the guide. You just can't see on screen confirmation when entering the channel numbers. Also, it only seems to work with TVE Channels because they are 4 digits without suffixs. Don't know of a way to enter OTA channels numbers as there is no . or _ on the remote to enter the suffix position. ie. 16.1

Also from On Now - any section, changing channels using Remote channel buttons up/down from only within the section is working. This is old ways of using remote but its great.
Changing channels from guide navigates All Channels.

Its already there. You need to open Channels DVR and start from On Now section. Play any channel and start using Tivo remote buttons up/down or enter channel number.

The question about button remapping was regarding the guide/TiVo/other buttons on the remote, not the ones that Channels already supports.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Generated m3u tags

Ok. Please share if you make any headway in remapping. I'm also interested.

Can you give a example voice phrase. When i tried its giving youtube results.

I finally got my Tivo stream working properly. After tech support helped me. The only issue is the time bar does not show so I have no indication where the players current time progression is. This is occurring live and playing recordings.

I only used it a few times just testing it - try “Action Movies”. It will initially come up with results, usually from one of your main apps like YouTube or Sling. If you wait about 5-8 seconds, you can continue to hit the down key on remote and it will list all of the other apps you have permission to search.

It doesn’t always work well, not sure if that’s due to Android TV or Channels not really meant to be tied into the searches. Let me know if this comes up for you.

In regards to the time bar display issue: if you press Up during playback, then Down to bring up the Quick Guide, the time bar will display.

It will not display going forward or backward. Appears during commercial skip but the time is cut off. It will appear as you stated in play only. So the progression bar still does not show hitting the up key. This is a pain trying to skip through commercials when the detection is off a bit. Plus the audio goes out when you double click down and can only be restored by clearing the info bar then hitting pause then play or tuning to different channel.

1 Like

There is a GPU bug on Android TV devices manufactured by SEI Robotics, including the TiVo Stream 4K and the AirTV Player. It causes certain views placed on top of a SurfaceView (like our video player) to not be visible or be partially clipped. This can be seen with the timeline and commercial skip notifications on both these devices.

We have been trying to find a workaround, and also trying to figure out who to report this bug to so it can get fixed.

1 Like

I am pleased with my TiVo Stream 4k which arrived today since it works better with Channels than the FireTV 4k stick, in my experience.
For example, since it does not crap out (locally) with 1080p transcoded video like the FireTV does, I can hope that it will work as well with my parents remote installation.
I find that Prime Video does not look quite so good to me as it does on the FireTV, but it is close.
A fix for the timeline issues would be welcome but it is not a deal breaker like the a/v stutter on the FireTV with 1080p transcodes.

1 Like

A DVR remote without fwd, pause, or rwd buttons? What were they thinking? No automatic HDMI format frame rate switching for 24p content.

I wonder why you're having that problem with your Fire TV Stick 4K. Is that happening with video from Channels DVR? With the local transcoding set to hardware, or software?

The Fire TV Stick 4K and Insignia Fire TV Edition sets have worked flawlessly here. For the smallest TV, a 24" 720p, I had to reduce the Channels streaming quality to 720p 4 Mbps. But the others needed no adjustment.

I actually kind of like the fact that the timeline doesn’t come up for pausing and when just trying to skip ahead a few minutes - any chance that is or could be an option to enable/disable in the future?

It's Tivo. They haven't done anything worthwhile in a very long time...

1 Like

In case anyone was wondering, usb ethernet adapters don't work. The wifi reception is also not as good as Fire Stick 4K.

Edit: Guess some people got ethernet working with certain adapters (link. Didn't work with either of the two gigabit adapters I have that work fine on the Fire Stick.

Edit2: Eventually got my Asix gigabit adapter to work. It took a long time for it to get detected and it kept restarting. Maybe not enough power on the USB-C port!?

anybody figured out how to enter the "." for ota (sub-)channels?
old-school channel flipping using channel up/down and number-input works well otherwise with this device.

Has anyone figured out how to jump to the previous channel? I know about double-clicking play on the firetv, but the tivo doesn't have a play-button and double-clicking the "ok" button doesn't do the trick