Channels app and new tivo streaming stick

Yes, just an app within Android TV. I think it works better than Apple TV + though.

Apple TV + has too much other garbage in it and doesn’t make it easy to view all the shows you added to keep track of.

TiVo Stream puts them all in a My Shows menu. Then you have your standard Movies section which populates with only the services you subscribe to. The TV section is the same.

Example: I want to watch an Action Movie. I go to the movies menu and select the “Action” genre - it lists all Action movies from Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, and Disney +. These are all the streaming services I selected that I subscribe to. No more surfing through various movies that I can’t watch without paying for, or are only available on platforms I don’t subscribe to.

They definitely nailed that part of it. The streaming provider being tied to Sling is a huge fail though. Hopefully they open it up to allow other choices in the future.

I couldn't find any way to switch to SDR either.

Great another limited Android streamer. These companies are really pissing me off. I'm seeing reports on AVS that it has elevated blacks as well with SDR content whether or not it's upconverting to HDR.

So....it’s a steaming box pitching live broadcast tv that has zero HDR support, that’s forced into HDR only mode? Seems like a crazy decision.

1 Like

Yup, the FireTV and AppleTV4k both started that way as well as far as I know. The ATT streaming box does covers everything to HDR as well.

It's one of the stupidest things I've seen.

Just saw this here and also over at the TCF. I'm wondering what this is supposed to get me other than adding a Sling account. I currently use Nvidia Shields with Channels DVR and don't see how this is any better than what I already have. I subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ but I rarely watch any streaming content. I mostly record shows from FIOS and OTA. I may get one of these just to play around with it, but I have a feeling it will just end up in a junk box with my Rokus and other streaming boxes.

Then this probably isn't for you. The idea is that it aggregates search results across multiple streaming services, so a single search will show you which service you subscribe to has the content you are looking for, and directly links you to it. For those looking for live content too, they have partnered with Sling to offer live content as well.

If your primary viewing is OTA and/or cable, then there probably isn't enough value-add in this device for your needs. In essence the device is just another Android TV box, with a custom TiVo app on it for additional integrations.

If anything, this is just a great priced Android TV box, which to be honest doesn’t really exist. We’ll see how the performance is over time. But the price is decent. And could be a great travel box.

But as this is the Channels community forums, obviously what Tivo is offering isn’t of much use. But the Android TV parts with the nice price is welcomed.

1 Like

If it turns out that this device's Sling integration isn't something special, but rather an implementation of Android TV's TV Input Framework (TIF), are there plans for Channels to support this? (This would also enable Google Live Channels support, AIUI.)

My device does not work well. Just freezes and studders. It integrates well with the ui but fails in comparison with Fire TV stick. I have tried all streaming settings and still not working. I did learn that the audio output can’t be set to bitstream. I have tried both 5g and 2g wifi but no luck. The latency is just to high to work with my setup with channels.
I sent diagnostic. 1e3c0f15-2faa-40fc-8daa-96c93c378feb

Mine has been working pretty well. I had an issue with not being able to return to the home screen but a reset fixed that issue.

For $50 it’s perfectly acceptable for a spare tv streaming device for Channels DVR.

Can anyone else confirm that the time bar doesn’t show up at all on this device when using channels DVR? I can pause, FF, or RW and the time bar at the bottom never pops up - it’s odd. I have Android TV built into my Sony and it shows on there. I would have thought it was the same build as the TiVo Stream. Not sure why it’s gone.

Confirmed. Something weird going on there.

the other annoying issue with this dongle is that it turns on the TV and Receiver in my case after you turn the whole system off. There is an issue with CEC on this. hope they fix it.

It only show up when you hit the down button for quick tuning momentarily. Still cant stream with mine. For some reason channels appears to be the only app I have playback issues. I sub mitted diags, but no reply yet.

Confirming the odd time bar issue on my Tivo 4k. It would not load at all while watching a recording. Then when watching Live I was able to pull it up but it flickers a few times first then stuck around.

Also is there any way to have the number keys work on the remote?

1 Like

The number keys only work when viewing the Guide. Works well, it does saves on scrolling. The issue is remembering the numbers. The time bar is a big issue not appearing with the up key. Never shows up so you can't see where you are in the program My device audio mutes when I call up the quick view and scroll either left or right. The way I can get the audio to return is to pause play. This Tivo Stream is android device with the same app build and version like my Fire TV Stick and have not seen any of these issues with the Fire TV Stick. I was after number of times swapping my HDMI inputs on my TV, to get mine working without the freeze and shudder issue. Its does not like my HDMI-ARC setup. I had to change it to one of the other HDMI inputs to get it working.

Anyone having issues getting the Device to playback OTA Channels with HDHomeRun. When it does a search for devices it comes up with two. HDHomeRun.input and another NetworkedTuner device.

Do you have the HDHomeRun app installed? If so, that would explain those inputs: the first is allowing Live Channels (which is what it looks like TiVo is using to integrate Sling) to directly access the tuner; the second is using the HDHR app to handle the tuning. If you use the first you can have the device handle DVR functions on its own, the latter will only permit viewing.

(The advantage of using an HDHR "Network Tuner" with Live Channels is for CableCARD users—Network Tuner allows you to view DRM flagged channels, but only view live.)

Is there any way to remap or integrate the buttons on the Tivo remote to work with Channels DVR? For example, pushing the "guide" button to bring up the Channels DVR EPG (not Tivo), skip, live, etc? If Channels DVR could fully integrate with the remote, this would make it a very interesting client. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got OTA channels scanned in Live Channels app with no HDHomeRun app installed.

A quick Google search brought this up: https://mrnoob.net/customize-unused-buttons-on-android-tv-remote/