Channels app and new tivo streaming stick

TVirl is one app that support Live Channels. Until Channels DVR support it you can get a work around by using channels m3u url as playlist in TVirl app and scroll the DVR channels.

channels m3u url format is as below.
http://${DVR_IP_ADDRESS}:8089/devices/TVE-${PROVIDER}/channels.m3u

Is there a way to get EPG resource url with channels guide data?

No. If you need an XMLTV file of the guide, SiliconDust provides one with their DVR subscription.

See here: XMLTV guide data

I'm looking to use EPG data in TVirl for channels m3u playlist url

As I said, Channels does not offer its guide data outside of its application. If you need guide data from something other than Channels, two options are:

1. Purchase a DVR subscription from SiliconDust for $35/yr. If you follow the link I provided earlier, it explains how to access the XMLTV data for integration with a different application.
  2. Purchase a subscription to Schedules Direct for $25/yr. To make use of the data they provide, you will need a use a separate application to access their service, such as the tv_grab_… tools provided by the XMLTV Project or something like EPG123

Both of the above options source their guide data from Gracenote, which is the same data provider that Channels uses.

If neither of those options appeal to you, then sourcing the data is an exercise left up to the user.

Thank you. Its clear now.

Changing channels with the remote numbers is working for me outside of the guide. You just can't see on screen confirmation when entering the channel numbers. Also, it only seems to work with TVE Channels because they are 4 digits without suffixs. Don't know of a way to enter OTA channels numbers as there is no . or _ on the remote to enter the suffix position. ie. 16.1

Also from On Now - any section, changing channels using Remote channel buttons up/down from only within the section is working. This is old ways of using remote but its great.
Changing channels from guide navigates All Channels.

Its already there. You need to open Channels DVR and start from On Now section. Play any channel and start using Tivo remote buttons up/down or enter channel number.

The question about button remapping was regarding the guide/TiVo/other buttons on the remote, not the ones that Channels already supports.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Generated m3u tags

Ok. Please share if you make any headway in remapping. I'm also interested.

Can you give a example voice phrase. When i tried its giving youtube results.

I finally got my Tivo stream working properly. After tech support helped me. The only issue is the time bar does not show so I have no indication where the players current time progression is. This is occurring live and playing recordings.

I only used it a few times just testing it - try “Action Movies”. It will initially come up with results, usually from one of your main apps like YouTube or Sling. If you wait about 5-8 seconds, you can continue to hit the down key on remote and it will list all of the other apps you have permission to search.

It doesn’t always work well, not sure if that’s due to Android TV or Channels not really meant to be tied into the searches. Let me know if this comes up for you.

In regards to the time bar display issue: if you press Up during playback, then Down to bring up the Quick Guide, the time bar will display.

It will not display going forward or backward. Appears during commercial skip but the time is cut off. It will appear as you stated in play only. So the progression bar still does not show hitting the up key. This is a pain trying to skip through commercials when the detection is off a bit. Plus the audio goes out when you double click down and can only be restored by clearing the info bar then hitting pause then play or tuning to different channel.

1 Like

There is a GPU bug on Android TV devices manufactured by SEI Robotics, including the TiVo Stream 4K and the AirTV Player. It causes certain views placed on top of a SurfaceView (like our video player) to not be visible or be partially clipped. This can be seen with the timeline and commercial skip notifications on both these devices.

We have been trying to find a workaround, and also trying to figure out who to report this bug to so it can get fixed.

1 Like

I am pleased with my TiVo Stream 4k which arrived today since it works better with Channels than the FireTV 4k stick, in my experience.
For example, since it does not crap out (locally) with 1080p transcoded video like the FireTV does, I can hope that it will work as well with my parents remote installation.
I find that Prime Video does not look quite so good to me as it does on the FireTV, but it is close.
A fix for the timeline issues would be welcome but it is not a deal breaker like the a/v stutter on the FireTV with 1080p transcodes.

1 Like

A DVR remote without fwd, pause, or rwd buttons? What were they thinking? No automatic HDMI format frame rate switching for 24p content.