Channels App Features Very Broken

I don’t understand. A lot of these things weren’t happening before.

• “channels” in the new Oreo home-screen do not work properly.
    • “On Now” Shows currently playing shows but also a blank “setup” icon as the first icon. Pressing it just goes to the Channels app where you last were.
  • “Movies” and “Up Next” do not work at all. Trying to enable them in the home screen channels settings just has them greyed out saying “channel is empty”.
  • Any time you are watching live TV for a longer period of time. The app will exit to the guide on it’s own without warning. Almost as if it’s not recognized that the app is “in use” when watching live TV.

It’s unfortunate because these problems just started occurring. These features worked fine in what I suppose was the last version.

Edit: I have checked and yes. I DO have DVR recordings in the DVR and even a movie. They show up in the app just fine. Just not in their “channels” on the home-screen now.

What device are you using, and what is the version number shown on the About tab of the app?

I am using an Nvidia Shield TV 16GB 2017 version. (I think.)

The Channels About screen says:

“Channels Beta (103)”

I’ve uploaded a beta build v104 which should appear on your device soon. Let me know if there’s any improvement.

I have received the 104 beta. Earlier today So far it seems the issue is PARTIALLY fixed.

Fixed:

• Blank “Setup” item no longer exists in “On Now” channel.
    NOTE: The fix where the blank “Setup” item only got fixed after reinstalling Channels app as also noted in the “What I’ve tried/tested” section.
    Not Fixed:
  • “Up Next” and “Movies” channels still not able to be turned on with the details being “channel is empty” despite my DVR having content.

What I’ve tried/tested:

• Putting Nvidia Shield to sleep and waking up again.
  • Rebooting Nvidia Shield
  • Making sure to load Channels App and wait a few minutes for content to propagate to home screen.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Channels App.
    NOTE: The fix where the blank “Setup” item only got fixed after reinstalling Channels app.

Okay, so you’re not even able to add the Movies channel in the first place? Can you take a quick photo of where it says “channel is empty” and email it to me ([email protected])

I have sent a picture of the issue by email, as per your request.

1 Like

Thanks that was very helpful. It looks like the behavior changed slightly between the Oreo beta and final release.

I have uploaded v105 which should let you enable the DVR rows on the home screen.

1 Like

Have just tested out v105. It seems to work great now. All the issues seem to be fixed. Though I got a “blank app icon” when the update first installed and the app wouldn’t launch. No need for alarm though as un-installing and re-installing the application made it work just fine. App icon returned and all issues I have spoken about seem to be fixed.

I tried looking around the forum and want to make sure I put it in the correct place; where would I place feature requests such as a PIP mode (Android TV has an API for it it seems) so we don’t loose our place completely when going home or to the guide? It seems Google’s “live channels” and VLC have this. Again, I apologize if this is the wrong space to put such things.

In conclusion, the issues have seem to be completely fixed.

1 Like

There is a feature request category under AndroidTV, you could put your PiP request there.