Channels client not updating DVR & Local Content without killing the app

Hello - this problem started about a week ago and after turning up nothing in my search I'm posting to the group.

I have Channels DVR installed on my Shield TV. If I add new local content or if the DVR records something I have to kill the Android app and restart it for the content to be displayed and played. If I don't kill the app it does not appear to update. I thought at first my DVR was not working but now discovered the content is recorded - its just not showing up. I'm able to see both newly added local content and recorded content through the web client as soon as the Channels DVR server discovers so I don't think its an issue with the server. Killing the app restarts channels on the shield and immediately it updates with the missing content including anything that was DVRed. Thanks for the help.

Can you submit diagnostics from the app when you notice it hasn't updated.

Is there a difference between the Library and Recordings tab?

1 Like

I am having this exact issue, just uploaded diags at 7:14pm EST. Server ui shows a whole slew of recordings from today, android client only shows 4. library and recordings both only show the limited amount.

Please install v4.2.0 update from the Play Store and submit again with that build if/when it happens

Will do - can I upgrade to beta after to re-enable stream remote mappings or do I need to keep it at the play store version?

1 Like

You can use the beta if you want. I just need something newer than v4.1.3

I too can report I've seen this issue happen sporadically, every couple days, on my Shield clients for the past several weeks. I have the DVR server running on a Win-10 Media server PC. About half the recordings of the day simply don't show up in the client. I double-tap the home button to kill the Channels client and restart it. Then all the recordings show up and no problems for a couple days. I just discovered the 4.2.0 update and installed it on my Shields last night so I'll watch over the next couple days if it happens again. Problem is, it is so easy and quick to kill and restart a app on the Shield that I've gotten into the habit of doing it when I first turn on the TV for the day. I'll try to avoid that.

It just happened to me. I uploaded diagnostics at roughly 6:10pm EST. I took a couple of pics as well.

I recorded Pardon the Interruption. As you can see the recording is not show up in the list.

I then killed Channels, re-launched the app and went to recordings.

Again, appreciate the support.

Still happening here too about every other day I just haven’t gotten to sit down and upload and post about it.

Happened again today.

Happening to me today. Server shows about 9 recordings today under admin/recordings, android client shows 1. submitted android logs 7:11pm est.

Guess no progress on this?

Still happening on a daily basis. If this is expected behavior let us know so we can turn the workarounds into some permanent solution.

I reported I was also experiencing this behavior a month ago just as the 3.2.0 client was released. Since then I have upgraded to and run every release/pre-release version of the client and the DVR server: the client runs on Shield Pro's and the DVR server runs on a MediaPC server. The behavior has persisted through all these versions and persists to today.

The thing is, it is so easy and fast to double-tap the home button on the Shield to kill and restart the Client. This clears the problem and off I go in about 5 sec. So, the behavior is no big deal for me.

Fine for us but I've got more then just technically savvy folks in my household. It's a bug in software that we pay a yearly fee for. At a minimum we could acknowledge the issue by now. It's been almost 1 month. Up to this point issue response has been pretty impressive.

Thanks for the diagnostics. I was able to see you put the SHIELD to sleep while the video player was active, and it turned out that was related to the bug. I have put a fix in the next beta apk.

Thank you! My wife will be happy.