Channels Crashing 4th Gen AppleTV

file uploaded, most recent beta through testflight. Beta works well for 45 minutes then crashed, this is a recording from the most recent crash.
I have uploaded two recordings and two panic files

Note that the channels server is still recording the samples - it is the beta client on the apple tv that crashes the device.

If you play the recording again does it crash in the same place?

I notice a lot of corruption on ABC News at Noon S2023E110 2023-01-10-1213.mpg, is that in the recording?

I just tried watching both of the recordings on my Apple TV and didn't get any crashes or panics.

It could be you're running into a hardware failure on your Apple TV...

no crash on corrupted bits and the corruption wasn't there when I started the recording... I chose this channel as being ABC the signal is quite weak at HD level.
I have uploaded another ABC broadcast from this morning which crashed the apple tv but its replay has seen not crashes - a much better signal and it is so frustrating that I get such variance in signal strength on the same channel during the day.
So no crashes on replay... it is the live signal that is crashing the device so it must be the connection between client and server with live signal.

1 Like

There shouldn't be a way for an app to cause a panic on an Apple TV, so that in itself is confusing. The fact that the issue isn't repeatable for the same recording further brings me to believe that there's some sort of hardware issue going on here. I think your Apple TV may be defective.

Many other streaming services, Netflix, prime, appletv, Kayo and on demand fta never crash the machine. I canā€™t accept a hardware issue given these including ABC iview never crash. Maybe itā€™s the HDHomeRun codec? Surely channels can have a buffer/stream check to prevent crash.

A Kernel Panic is a thing that happens when something fundamental to the computer fails. This happens when either:

1. There is a bug in the Operating System
  2. There is a hardware problem that gets the Operating System into a state that it doesn't believe should ever be able to happen

The way modern operating systems work is such that a user program (or app) under no circumstances should be able to cause a kernel panic. If it does, it's considered a major bug.

Apple takes this very seriously, as outlined here:

Why does this only happen with Channels and not other apps? One reason could be that the codecs that are used by your TV (MPEG2) are not hardware accelerated and are decoded on the CPU. The extra CPU utilization could be triggering the hardware failure.

To reiterate: there should be absolutely nothing that any app on your TV can do that would trigger a reboot. The only things that could cause it are a previously undiscovered bug in the OS or a hardware issue.

I have channels server hardware transcoding blend with 1 hour buffer. Is this correct? Where do I set transcoded on client on Apple TV?
I understand the seriousness of this and can vouch for the client app on iOS iPhone 13 (on 4g and on Lan) and 2022 iPad Pro. I am not a noviceā€¦there is something wrong with the feed to appletv and to just say hardware seems complacent. I pay for this service and expect consistency in all the apps.

Settings > Playback > Streaming Quality

So the app and same channel on iPad and iPhone doesn't crash?

The Channels video player is exactly the same on iOS and Apple TV.

I'd suggest you factory reset your Apple TV. As was explained, a hardware reboot can only happen from a kernel panic. This is a system/hardware level failure.

1. Third party apps can not cause kernel panics, especially in the iOS variants, the security level of regular apps just does not allow it.
  2. No one else has reported this issue.
  3. We've played back your video samples without failure
  4. You communicated that this isn't happening on your iPhone or iPad. The Channels app is exactly the same on tvOS and iOS.

Your best bet is trying to factory reset Apple TV to see if that solves something. Otherwise, contact Apple about your device. These devices are not perfect and can have their own issues.

We have gone above and beyond to try to diagnose this in any other way than what the clear answer is, which is a hardware issue.

Factory reset still failed, bought the bullet and set up Apple 4K tv yesterday playing channels all day with some dodgy signals. Didnā€™t miss a beat. Not bothered to try and get Apple to diagnose hardware over 5years old but the kids are gonna love their own Apple TV without FTA when I set the 4gen up in their room!
Thanks for all your support but I am sure this is a valuable lesson to other 4th Gen owners out there. Sometimes hardware glitches.
Btw the channels server is on a 15 yr old MacBook Pro 17ā€ and hasnā€™t missed a beat, it serves out Plex as well with 10gb externals. You gotta love Mac hardware!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.