Channels crashing immediately on start-up with Shield on Oreo

Suddenly yesterday Channels started refusing to open. It loads the purple background then crashes and quits back to the home screen.

I am running an Nvidia Shield TV which has received the Oreo based ‘Experience 7.0’ update upon release last Friday. I am also enrolled to receive the beta releases of Channels from the Play Store.

It has been working fine since the Oreo release up until yesterday so am not sure what has changed and is causing the issue. Google pushed 2 Android TV updates yesterday, one for home screen which now shows Plex and Live Channels as ‘channel’ rows on the home screen.

Could this be the cause possibly? The built in Live Channels app now displays HDHomeRun content along its ‘channel’ row and actually begins to live play the content as you scroll over to the right (very cool implementation I am seriously hoping you can replicate with Channels!!).

I thought maybe this was grabbing a tuner and messing with Channels so have disabled HDHomeRun as a source in Google Live Channels yet Channels still crashes on opening.

I tried a complete uninstall / reinstall which didn’t work. I did get it to run by force stopping the app from within settings, clearing cache, clearing data and then it immediately opened. I tried sending a diagnostic. Unfortunately after sleeping the Shield and going back to try and load the Channels the crash on load returns.

There are no issues with the actual HDHomeRun app, or if using it as a source in Google Live Channels app. I have also logged in through my computer to check tuner status on the home screen to ensure that the timers are being correctly released and they definitely are whether or not I have it set up in Live Channels or not.

Really hope this gets solved and fixed quickly. Anything else I can do or try to help troubleshoot please let me know.

There was a bug in the beta causing the crashes, which has been fixed in the latest beta v82

You may need to reset the app: go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, go to Channels and press Clear Cache

Just installed the update and all seems to be working great again, with HDHomerun enabled through Google Live Channels as well. Thanks so much for pushing that fix so fast.

1 Like

Great! Did you need to clear settings or reinstall, or was the update enough to fix the issue?

Great! Did you need to clear settings or reinstall, or was the update enough to fix the issue?

I cleared cache and data after installing the update before attempting to run the app so don’t know if it would have worked without me doing that i’m afraid.

1 Like

Thank you for the fix. Re-installing the app was a pain because I couldn’t do it thru a pc browser on Google play, and the Oreo update killed the mic in my remote control so I couldn’t search the play store on the Shield. I dug out the controller and did a play store search, found the app and reinstalled. I have watched some DVR’d stuff and all the functions seem to be working OK.

1 Like