Channels DVR 1.0.3. will no longer play on QNAP firmware 4.5.4.1892 build 20211223

Channels DVR version 1.0.3 will not play on Qnap QNAP firmware 4.5.4.1892 build 20211223. I attempted to run Channels DVR inside Container Station but I am not having any luck there. Does anyone know if Channels will update the Qnap App so that it is digitally signed and will be compatible with QNAP in the future?

Can your NAS run VMs? If yes, run a Linux or Windows VM and install on there. The downside the GPU will not be available for commercial skipping so the CPU will need to do it. Alternatively, keep the video storage on the NAS and use an external system to run he server. I've been super happy running a Windows VM on TrueNAS.

Good luck,

Morris

I would prefer not running a VM on a QNAP, as I have a nice GPU that will not be utilized. Also, this seems like an extreme measure to take as the reason Channels DVR does not run is security related. QNAP mandates all third party apps be digitally signed. I only assume that FancyBits no longer updates or supports their software, which is unfortunate. We are talking about a digital signature here. It may be time to request a yearly subscription refund.

It looks like this is up to Qnap. It doesn't look like there's anything Channels can do until Qnap "blesses" the app and provides the necessary certificate.

What type of signature are you referring to? I will be calling QNAP support tomorrow and I want to make sure I know the exact details. Is Channels DVR version 1.0.3 the latest for QNAP?

I don't use Qnap, so I really have no clue. I suggest you continue your discussion in the other thread, where there are other users with similar issues.

See Channels Support - Channels DVR Server won't run on QNAP anymore

I'm on 5.00 and it works fine. Upgrade to 5.0. I still get the exclamation mark, no digital signature but I get that on Emby also and it still works fine.

2 Likes

Thanks, I saw that and attempted to setup as the instructions show, but it is not working.

What does "not working" mean?

Error message?

At what step does something fail?

Are you able to update your model to v5?
See

that is the same image you posted before. and it was suggested you need to update to the latest OS on that thing.
If you can not, perhaps your device is too old and is end of life for updates, meaning you need to buy a newer device. You did not state what QNAP model you have, so i can not say for certain.

You asked for the error message, which is why I copied the screen capture, however, there is no error per say, ChannelsDVR simply not run because it is not digitally signed. My TS-677 can be upgraded to QTS version 5.0, but with QNAP's firmware issues breaking applications and basic NAS functionality, I hesitate upgrading right away. The same issue will occur in QTS 5.0. I enabled a setting within QTS to allow unsigned applications to run. This should work, however, why QNAP forces a special digital signature on third party applications is beyond me.

So You updated to that build of the os and it still did not work and then tried the other steps listed? And it still gives that error? I assumed u tried all that since you stayed so so that why I ask what step of that process was there an error or could you not complete if that was the issue.

Good to hear you can work around it.

Just in case other users find this thread, their support site does show the TS-677 still receiving full OS/App update support https://www.qnap.com/en/product/status?product_line=1&bay=6&model=TS-677
and QTS 5.0.0.1891 build 20211221 available for it TS-677 - Download Center | QNAP

QNap Firmware 5.0.1.234 (and 5.0.0.1986 for that matter) seem to have broken this again. The irony is it starts Channels on restart, then kills it hours later because it has an invalid signature. Specifically the system event log is:

[App Center] Channels DVR has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

This is with the latest release version of Channels as well.

You need to go into the QNAP settings and enable apps without signatures to run.

Thanks! I know I had that enabled, must of flipped on me.

Is this ever going to be fixed so we don't keep getting a warning?