Channels DVR as PLEX tuner

Plex has been trying to distance itself from it's image as a piracy platform. M3U - rightly or not - has the stink of IPTV. So I think it's unlikely the powers that be - the same people making bloatware deals with every commercial video and audio provider who will listen to their pitch - are going to prioritize m3u tuners.

1 Like

I am running into this problem as well. I woke up and had like 18 recordings in progress from recordings that would not stop. Channels showed no stream activity.

Yeah I uninstalled all the crap including Plex going to stick With Channels DVR and EMBY it just works.

1 Like

Anyone using this setup where xteve pushes into plex where all the tv shows show as new? And sometimes recording a show comes up as a movie instead of a tv show? Not sure how to fix it

I got this working great using ChannelsDVR as backend now that PLEX supports multiple lineups. Plex tuner sharing is poor but with ChannelsDVR handling the sharing of tuners instead of plex it works great. Running XTEVE on a docker.

1 Like

Curious why the two different devices instead of one with the complete guide. Also, what docker image are using?

I got this setup with TVE and Locast.

Because I like to keep my OTA Channels as a Separate DEVICE... I have the OTA channel equivalent on my primes disabled. I am using the guide data provided by Plex with ChannelsDVR M3U

Image ..

alturismo/xteve

Now that is what I am talking about! The import side needs a lot of work (Sports). I look forward to trashing Plex completely.

I’d love to hear what your local sports content looks like. Are these classic games you rewatch, or are you fetching events by other means and watching inside a media center and just need them to import cleanly.

I'm an Ohio State fan. So several games by past seasons. Also the old BCS Championship games and the new College Playoff games. With Plex, I created my own seasons (the good game and rivalry games) and custom graphics when needed. I also have some Browns games saved as well. Another thing I collect are Alcatraz documentaries that I would like to put in one category.

I edit out all of the commercials and then export the file to archive it and then delete from channels.

Channels being able to read custom import metadata (including images) is really needed. If all the grace note stuff fails, I can just create my own artwork.

Hope this helps.

So you’re fine doing the work to edit art and meta, you just need the ability to actually do that.

What’s the source of external metadata? NFO files? Meta in MP4 files?

Absolutely. It's worth the time to me and it would be nice to be able to clean up art I don't like or other mismatch items when needed.

Embedded into the .mp4.

What is your tune time on the channels? I quit using this setup because it wasn't reliable. One channel would take 20 seconds to start playing and the next time I would choose that channel it would take 10 seconds. Emby tuned channels much quicker in this setup but has it's own set of issues.

Please email support with an example mp4 with all the custom data embedded

1 Like

2 to 3 Seconds ... you should use the DVR IP address that XTEVE displays in the log.... I found the response is much faster.

Also I use the PLEX built in guide I tried the XML from Channels DVR but it does not add the year to the folder or the file which I like.

1 Like

Not seeing a different IP in the log. I only see the one on top of the web ui.

My Installation is on a nas with Docker.

This customization of metadata is a big thing for me too. However, as Plex is the only service I've found that actually allows manual editing for poster photos, etc, I've just used the fields they provide on their "Edit" function. I don't usually embed prior to uploading. Is doing something like that a viable option for Channels?

I finally got this going the way I wanted ... Since Plex now allows you to use multiple lineups ... I was able to use Channels DVR as a tuner using guide data from Plex. Channel numbers are mapped correctly in XTEVE.

1. I have Both OTA and Cable running in separate instances of XTEVE... using Plex guide data.
  2. I use Channels DVR for new series and LiveTV.
  3. I use Plex to record full Series like CSI Friends etc ... Cutting out Commercials.

I chose to do it this way because the watched status and currently watching is lacking on Channels DVR movie/TV section... and I cannot wrap my head around the way up next up works .. My "In Progress" watching should be first... at all times regardless if new recordings are added.

1 Like

Why did you need separate instances of xteve? I didn’t know you could have multiple guides in Plex so time to revisit this if I can fix my new episode issue now

1 Like