Channels DVR as PLEX tuner

Ok sry guys and thank you for answers

1 Like

So I decided to give this a try and after some trial and error I got it working. I imported the MLB.TV for Channels and Hulu Live. Also had to do my Tuner but that was an easy part. I couldn't do ALL as the ADBTuner was causing issues and making XTEVE crash during the import. Due to that I had to create 3 XTEVE instances on my Unraid box, each with different ports and folders. Plus I am using the import for the guide instead of PLEX.

In PLEX it was a pain but I got it working.

My Question is, does XTEVE always update the Guide Data? Or was it a one time import and now I have to manually do it? I am confused at that part.

1 Like

Goto Settings and under File:
Schedule for updating (Playlist, XMLTV, Backup):

Thank You!

Personally I have had Plex up and running without a glitch or reboot for years at a time. So IMO Plex is 10 times more stable than Channels.

My experience with Channels has been ok but it has required multiple installs on different computers to finally get it relatively stable.

Plex has been installed once years ago and like a Timex watch it just keeps ticking.

2 Likes

Canā€™t disagree more from my own personal experience.

The plex UI and feature set is nice - but I couldnā€™t deal with the graphical glitches, video incompatibility and incomplete/not working ā€˜featuresā€™.

What platform are you installing it on. I run a standalone ubuntu server and I actually just rebooted it due to an OS upgrade but before that my uptime was 370 days. No problem with channels since day 1

1 Like

Ok not disagreeing but how many average people with limited or no computer experience is able to do what you did? My experience with Channels is completely different and Iā€™m not alone just browse this community. If it was as easy as you say this community would be a ghost town.

Personally I have not experienced any of these issues with Plex. Installed 7 yrs ago and other than software updates I havenā€™t touched it. Everything Iā€™ve used has worked flawlessly.

No argument that Plex has been very stable and maintenance free. On the other hand, Plex hasn't introduced any new features to their DVR like Channels has been doing over the years. Unfortunately, the addition of new features and keeping up with service changes of 3rd parties interfaces like TVE is what usually causes the issues with Channels. Personally, I'd rather deal with the periodic issues while enjoying the new features verses a static but stable product.

There's a newer fork of xTeVe at GitHub - Threadfin/Threadfin: an M3U proxy for Plex/Jellyfin/Emby based on xTeVe

4 Likes

Well this has some age on it so I thought Id update it a little. I have been critical of Channels and now a few months later I want to update my assessment.

So I have had Channels stable now for several months. It is working well and I do enjoy the features and the interface. After combing through my logs and with the suggestions on here I believe most if not all my recurring issues were related to the hard drive I used for Channels storage. It was definitely not the antivirus program. I purchased a new 8Tb drive and it is working well without issue. It took 24 hrs to copy the data from the old HD to the new one but it was the best move.

I still think what Plex does it does well. I find that when we vacation and are away from home watching remotely, Plex works better with a marginal connection. Channels works OK remotely but side by side Plex buffers less.

Now I just got fiber in our area so that may really help things out. We have 250 Mbps/250 Mbps vs the 6 Mbps/ 44 Mbps on a dsl line. So I'm thinking our next trip we shouldn't have any remote issues.

Overall, Channels has turned out to be a nice usable program. I subscribed as a transition from our Amazon Recast tuner which Amazon is no longer selling. Channels is a comparable setup with a few more features. Plex is doable and works well also obviously no TVE which is a bigee and if that disappears we will see. I could see combining Plex with one of the streaming services like PlayOn and getting close to Channels feature list.

So overall I think Channels is a good program with a nice interface that once stable seems to run without a lot of interaction or maintaince.

3 Likes