Channels DVR failed at recording 3 shows at once (got only 2)

Interesting. What happens if you pause and resume your pass for Face the Nation?

Pausing and resuming resulted in Face the Nation being scheduled at 8:30 AM on April 16.

The log looks remarkably like the case I previously reported.

2017/03/27 09:46:35 [DVR] Rule ‘Face the Nation’ found 1 new airings
2017/03/27 09:46:35 [DVR] queued recording job 1492356570-17

2017/03/31 09:37:43 [DVR] Deleting job with expired serial 1.490890831e+09: 1492356570-17: Face the Nation

And then, after pause and resume:

2017/04/04 16:12:42 [DVR] Rule ‘Face the Nation’ found 3 new airings
2017/04/04 16:12:42 [DVR] queued recording job 1491751770-17
2017/04/04 16:12:43 [DVR] queued recording job 1492356570-17
2017/04/04 16:12:43 [DVR] queued recording job 1493024370-17

Is it possible these listings are disappearing and then coming back and you never check if they came back?

I think this is a bug due to how data for future days loads in, perhaps combined with the fact that guide data is downloaded between 9am-10am, which is after this program starts.

Basically the pass ends up matching the 2:30am airings, and then after that it has no reason to switch to the other one since according to the data they’re the same.

Not quite sure what the best resolution here is…

In this case, since you prefer the earlier showing, the easiest thing would be for you to edit your pass and add a Time == 8:30AM condition to it. That way it will only record what you want.

I’m not sure if the show ever moves from 8:30, so I don’t want to hardcode it.

In any event, it sounds like you’ve identified the bug. I still have DirecTV, so I can record it there.

Possible solution for you to test:

Retain the current pass

Add a new pass with exact info as above, + add the ==8:30AM condition, then make sure the priority of the added pass is set higher than the current.

Thanks. I’m testing Channels DVR to find and report bugs. I’ve been using it for all the OTA channels; but, as I said above, I can just record the show on my DirecTV DVR.

OK, thought it might be a possible workaround which could be used by others in same situation.

I’d test it myself, however, I can’t replicate your situation…my schedule only has the original show in the late morning (10:30 edt)… hence:

1. show starts after the daily guide update here and
  2. no replay later in the day.

Ok, that’s fair. I created a season pass for another show and then converted it to the same series ID. It seems the time attribute does not support ==. One can only use contains. As such, I chose time contains 08:30. We’ll see what happens. Of course, I’d rather see the bug fixed.

I’m not sure if a second pass will help here…

The issue has to do with how our guide provider makes data available to us, and how it’s downloaded into the DVR. This summer we hope to switch to a new API that our provider is launching, which will make it much easier to keep the DVR’s guide database fresh (since we’ll be able to download “updates” directly from them instead of having to re-download all the data every day).

I’ve removed the second pass. Hopefully this can be fixed after the guide changes you mention.

It works for a scenario which I encountered.

1. Wanted to copy all episodes of a particular show.
  2. The first airing of a new episode was always at 9PM, and also had a replay at 11PM.
  3. Having only 1 Prime (limited tuners), I wanted to record the 11PM replay and not the 9PM new.

Hence I setup the first (primary) rule with the 11PM limit. Then another rule with “always” and no limiter (lower priority).

The first rule sets up the 11PM show in the DVR.
When the 2nd rule seeks all of the series showings, it doesn’t touch the 9PM show as it already has a queued status (due to the rule for 11PM which sets all showings of that exact episode to queued).

BTW, this behavior happens more than just when the show in question starts within a certain time of day range.

As I’ve posted before, sometimes the 3 PM airing of Newshour doesn’t record and the 6 PM airing records. I happened to be home today and caught the 3 PM airing. It was definitely in the guide and definitely aired as I watched it; but it didn’t record and the 6 PM airing is queued.

I had a look in the logs and I can see it was queued and then deleted This behavior is identical to the Face the Nation issue. See log entries below:

2017/03/25 09:56:51 [DVR] Rule ‘PBS NewsHour’ found 1 new airings
2017/03/25 09:56:51 [DVR] queued recording job 1492207170-8

2017/04/02 16:04:30 [DVR] Deleting job with expired serial 1.491149633e+09: 1492207170-8: PBS NewsHour

Do you see any more of these occurrences in your DVR schedule for the next three weeks?

I can send you a test build to try… would be interesting to compare the schedule before/after to see if its able to catch and fix the incorrectly scheduled timeslots.

I’ve been checking and pausing and resuming passes to work around it. I just checked today and found none. i won’t do that in the future and let you know when I find one.

Note: I’m presuming you want to wait for an issue before I install a test build; but would be happy to install it now if you want.

Try this pre-release build. It also includes more verbose logging which should help debug if it happens again.

Thanks. I have installed it.

1 Like

Noticed any issues since the update?

I’ve been checking regularly and have had ZERO issues. Thanks for fixing this!

1 Like