Channels DVR Hardware Comparability Check

Hello,

We have been testing Channels DVR in our home for the past week through our Macbook Pro. We're happy with the service and looking to make a permanent setup in our home.

We're not going to run Channels DVR through the Macbook. We purchased a HP Pavilion desktop (590-p0033w) to run Channels instead of a NAS box. There's a 1tb hdd which is fine for us. We can always upgrade or add a second HDD.

My concern is the the 16gb Optane M.2 ssd and 4gb of RAM. Would everything run smoothly without delays?

My other concern is power consumption. Any settings I should adjust to our setup to make it run efficiently.

Thank you!

4GB of RAM is plenty.

16GB on c:\ could be tight for all of Windows and the DVR software. The guide database lives in C:\programdata\channelsdvr\data and can be between 1-2GB depending on the number of channels.

Is the Optane drive being used as the C drive and a regular SSD? Normally, Optane drives are used as cache or an accelerator for other storage devices, especially HDDs with physical/spinning platters.

From the description given, it sounds as if the Optane drive is merely being used to augment the 1TB HDD, basically giving you SSD performance on a non-SSD drive. If that's the case, then there is no worry about the capacity of the Optane storage, and 1TB is plenty for Windows. (Although you may want to look into additional storage as 1TB isn't very much for DVR recordings.)

2 Likes

Yes that's the c:\ with the OS. I'll look into upgrading the 16gb Optane internal ssd with a 256gb. Its a $40 upgrade but it takes some work backing the OS.
Thanks for your help!

I have a Dell Mini PC with only 32GB C:\ drive and its constantly running out of space. I can barely do a Windows update without having to uninstall programs first.

Yes I think that's how the Optane operates. I'm looking into upgrading the Optane SSD anyway to make everything run smoother in case I'm running any other programs.

I was originally thinking 1tb would be sufficient because that's how much our cable DVR box has. I'll add a second HDD whenever I see one on sale. A second HDD along with upgrading the Optane SDD should be enough space.

Thanks for the heads up.