Channels DVR high CPU usage on Synology

Hi,

Was wondering if there has been a recent change that would cause higher CPU usage on Synology DVR? I have been using channels for a couple years or so on my DS416j, which I admit is under powered, and I have never had issues with it as I dont need it to transcode or do anything special. I see channels at idle consuming up to 50% of the system. I dont remember it doing this until I looked recently. Any idea?

Does the Activity section of the DVR's web UI show anything happening?

No it’s idle on both recordings and guide data. It will be doing recordings in a bit, ill check the usage then.

Possibly more info to help but there are two channel DVR processes that are active. One is consuming ~45% or so of CPU and the second one is consuming maybe 3-4% of the CPU. However the two seem to be tied together....if one process CPU usage goes down the other goes up. There are many other channel DVR processes in the sleeping state.

Sounds like you're looking at a list of threads not processes. Is this in the Synology process viewer? Does it show process ids for them?

Yes this is the Synology Resource Monitor, Processes tab. It has a different process ID for each, process names are channels-dvr.

Ok little more info, things look better. I fully shutdown the synology and rebooted. Things came back up and the CPU usage is way down. I had tried restarts a few times the other night when I was looking at this but it didn't seem to resolve the high cpu usage then.

I have looked at the logs and it looks like it was in a bit of a loop fetching guide data over and over. Every 30 seconds or so it would start Fetching guide data for all stations again. CPU usage is back to normal, which is basically close to nothing.

Ill continue to keep an eye on it, thanks for the quick replies.

Huh, that's not good. Can you send us the logs to [email protected]

Looks like the new guide database is having issues on machines with not a lot of RAM:

2019/10/29 09:48:54 [DVR] Error indexing airings: error opening new segment at store/000000000225.zap, cannot allocate memory
2019/10/29 09:48:55 [DVR] Fetching guide data for 323 stations @ 2019-11-02 3:30PM
2019/10/29 09:49:03 [DVR] Error indexing airings: cannot allocate memory

Please update to v2019.11.06.0609 by click-and-hold the Check for Update button. Email us the logs if it still has issues on that new version.

Updating now and ill keep an eye on it. Thanks!

1 Like

I am begging to have this same issue. Constantly running CPU at about 50%. Have submitted Logs.

1 Like

A new prerelease build has been released that may address this. Others are reporting good results.

1 Like

Pre-release seems to have solved the problem.
Thanks

2 Likes