Channels DVR server no longer sees HDHR tuner after updating its firmware

See if this site helps.
What Is Bridge Mode on a Router, and Why Should You Use It? (howtogeek.com)

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense, but I think we're getting a little lost in the weeds here because everything worked fine on my network, regardless of how assbackward I may have it set up, until I upgraded the firmware on my HDHR. Channels had no problem locating the HDHR, until today.

I can't login to the Netgear router because there's no coaxial connected to it (the default login 192.168.0.1 goes nowhere), so unless it can be changed into Bridge Mode via one of the two buttons on the front, I think I'm SOL.

Go on Amazon and buy this switch. Replace your netgear router you are using as a switch. (this is your problem). Not sure why it worked before but it is architected incorrectly now.

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308) - Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet Splitter, Plug-and-Play, Silent Operation, Desktop or Wall Mount https://a.co/d/hscMkGz

2 Likes

:+1:
I agree.
Most likely that Netgear cable modem is acting as another DHCP server.
Not good having multiple DHCP servers on a home network.

Damn it! You are correct, sir. I finally just bypassed the netgear router, plugging the HDHR straight into my fiber router, and all my OTA stations loaded right up instantly in Channels, without even rescanning for the source.

Sorry for wasting all of you guys' time, but I really do appreciate the help.

Thanks for the link to the unmanaged switch. Cheers! :beers:

2 Likes

The reason why it wasn't working for you is that the the channels sever couldn't pass through the nat firewall on the router that was acting as a switch that the HDHR was connected to. The devices connected to the second firewall/router can see anything upstream but upstream devices cannot see anything behind that second device.

I still think that Netgear cablemodem has a DHCP server that assigned the HDHR 192.168.0.2
And his main AT&T Fiber router assigned it 192.168.1.71

1 Like

I think you're right because last night I started moving the ethernet lines around in the Netgear router just to see what would happen, if anything. Turns out, when I unplugged the Nintendo, moved the PC up to Port 2, and the HDHR up to Port 3 everything started working again. So, I went back into the hdhomerun.local/system page to check and, sure enough, the HDHR box was reassigned to 192.168.1.71

I don't really understand it--I played around with other port combinations, some worked most didn't--but the PC and HDHR box seem to be pickier about which ports they like vs the Nintendo, which doesn't seem to care.

Weird stuff for sure. :thinking:

PFM - Pure F'ing Magic. Just disable the DHCP server on Netgear if you want to use it as a switch.

1 Like

Will do. Thanks for the link! And thanks again everyone for all your help.

you also should disable the firewall on it as well and put it into bridge more. Or... Just spend $20 on a proper switch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Firewall does not affect traffic between LAN ports. ( under normal circumstances)

I would make OP install OpenWRT on this thing. :rofl:

BTW: GS305 is $15 on Amazon.

I would spend the $20 and buy a switch.

I would rather pester people on the internets. Unlike lawyers, many of them are willing to give advice for free. Fancy Bits should consider using ChatGPT for answers to these basic questions that can not wait.

It seems like your HDHomeRun device is not being recognized by the Channels server. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Double-check your network configuration: Make sure that your HDHomeRun device and your server are on the same network subnet. If the IP address shown on the HDHomeRun device and the router are different, it may indicate that there is an issue with your network configuration.
  2. Check for firewall or antivirus settings: Ensure that there are no firewall or antivirus settings blocking the communication between the HDHomeRun device and the Channels server. If there are any such settings, try disabling them temporarily and see if that resolves the issue.
  3. Reboot your router and HDHomeRun device: Sometimes, simply rebooting your router and HDHomeRun device can resolve network issues. Try turning both off, waiting for a minute, and turning them back on.
  4. Check the HDHomeRun firmware version: Verify that you are running the latest firmware version on your HDHomeRun device. If not, try updating it to the latest available version.
  5. Reset the HDHomeRun device: As a last resort, you can try resetting your HDHomeRun device to its default settings. This will erase all configuration settings and restore the device to its original state.

If none of these steps work, you may need to contact the support team for your HDHomeRun device or Channels server for further assistance.

Pretty good? :wink:

Based on your network setup, it seems like the HDHomeRun device is connected to the Netgear cable router that you're using as an ethernet switch. Since you mentioned that the IP address of the HDHomeRun device appears differently on the system page compared to your router page, it's possible that the HDHomeRun device may not be properly communicating with your network.

Here are a few things you can try:

1. Disconnect the HDHomeRun device from the Netgear cable router and connect it directly to one of the ports on the AT&T fiber router to see if it can be detected by your Channels server. If it is detected, then the issue may be related to the Netgear cable router.
  2. If you want to keep the HDHomeRun device connected to the Netgear cable router, you may want to try resetting the Netgear cable router to its default settings and reconfiguring it as an ethernet switch. This can sometimes help clear up any network issues.
  3. Check the DHCP settings on your AT&T fiber router and make sure that it is set to assign IP addresses to devices on your network automatically. You may also want to check the DHCP settings on the Netgear cable router, as this could be causing IP address conflicts.
  4. Check the firmware version of the Netgear cable router and see if there are any updates available. Updating the firmware can sometimes help fix bugs and improve performance.

I hope these suggestions help you get your HDHomeRun device working with your Channels server again. If you continue to experience issues, it may be worth reaching out to the support team for HDHomeRun or Channels for additional assistance.

Wow :grinning:

Curious what its response would have been if this thread didn’t exist. Giving it credit for summarizing this very thread seems extreme.

It also leaves out the best advice and the true answer
1. Replace the netgear router with a proper switch
2. Enjoy your dvr discovering your hdhr immediately

The best response is disabling DHCP on Netgear cable router.

I provided it only with the OP in the first response. The second one had the post with more details included. Also

What a great Community.
Congrats and thanks to everyone here for always being so helpful, esp the Developers.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.