Channels DVR testimonial

I wanted to do a shout out of SINCEREST THANKS to the developers @maddox @tmm1 @eric and the entire community.

I was recently hospitalized for about a week with some stuff going I dont want to reveal for privacy reasons.

What I do want to relay, is that I was in the unfortunate position that I coulnt bring my normal gear (iphone, ipad, etc) into my hospital with me for fear of either the devices being stolen, or even worse, my apple id and other personal info being compromised.

So to prepare for my “vacation” in the hospital “hotel”, I created an air gapped iphone , an old iphone 5s that I had laying around in a drawer (no sim ) that had just some music that I wanted to listen to, and an ios shortcut that could play a particular piece of music in case I flatlined in the hospital.

Literally, the phone had a home screen shortcut icon that said “LAST RESORT”

other than that , on purpose, cell service was disabled, wifi turned off, notifications disabled, apple id disabled for security. It was an ipod with 5 audio files. My homescreen and lockscreen was a picture of myself with my birth date for identification. It was a scary past month or two preparing for my vacation……

Well fortunately, by the end of my stay I was feeling alert enough and mobile enough to begin to miss CHANNELS!

Hmmmm. How could I achieve this?

I had set up a secondary apple Id for use in the hospital, but I was too drugged to remember the password (lol)

But i was alert enough to remember my primary apple id.

In a nutshell, I was able to slowly resurrect my CHANNELS life,, I had to download tailscale, and authenticate a new device (the iphone 5s was supported!!!!)

The channels app woukdnt even download on the phone - BUMMER. I think the iphone 5s is stuck on ios 12. Lol

However, with tailscale I got into the Channels web interface at home, and was able to stream GOLD RUSH WHITEWATER from my hospital room. As I write this I am so grateful to be alive and home on the mend, and am so grateful for the little things in life like being able to watch a mindless show when trapped in a “hotel” with only a wifi connection to the outside world.

So once again, thank you developers for always putting us users first and creating a fantastic product and fantastic community.

With sincerest gratitude

4 Likes