Channels DVR update during recording?

Is the Channels software written so the recording engine can continue even when Channels is performed a software upgrade?

The update will wait until the DVR is idle. You can manually force the restart-to-update, or just wait until the system has an idle moment to update itself.

That's the question. If I manually force the update while TV is recording, does the recording engine continue while the software is updating, or are the recordings terminated?

nvm

Interrupted.

I'm having trouble with HGTV and Discovery on Spectrum. I see there was another issue today on TCM that was resolved, so I considered that the same issue might be resolved by upgrading. There are currently active recordings, with no breaks before recordings need to start on HGTV later in the evening.

I was hoping to upgrade the software without interrupting recordings. Make sense?

Thanks. Not the answer I was looking for, but helpful.

How can you stop and replace the server process without stopping the server process that is handling the recording?

(If you want to update, Channels does this:

• Download version 2
  • Change the link of latest from version 1 to version 2
  • Stop the server
  • Start the latest (now version 2)

While recording, the server needs to be running. As you can see from above, to update the server must be restarted, which implies stopping. Therefore, forcing a restart to update while a recording is in progress will cause an interruption in the recording. If you're lucky, it may happen during a commercial, and nothing pertinent will be lost.)

A developer writes a piece of software where the recording engine is separate, but driven by the software, but can operate independently taking instructions from the software, which allows the software a window here and there where it can be updated without interrupting recordings. I thought that might be the case here.

While I'm sure its possible, we are talking about a DVR, not a nuclear power plant. I can't personally imagine a scenario where I need an update to the server so urgently that I can't wait AND at the same time am recording something so important that I can't interrupt it. Personally, I'd rather they spend their time on something like cleaning up how you manage all your favorites across different devices first. Of course everyone's needs are different.

In the scenario you describe, the DVR starts the recording process, but does not control it. That is a horrible way to manage software like a DVR; it opens the door for a situation where recording threads get started with no way to stop/reap them.

If such a scenario is one you need, then you ought to seek out different software.

1 Like

This wan't a feature request or complaint, it was merely a simple question while I was trying to troubleshoot a system having problems with an evening full of recordings. I sure do appreciate everyone that came in to be so helpful, though.