"Channels DVR" vs "Channels - Live TV" appleTV apps

Hi all-

This seems like it should be a simple question to answer, but I haven't been able to find the answer online. I'm trying Channels out now, hoping to switch from TiVo. I have a Channels Plus subscription, and I'm running the DVR app on a Windows PC. Currently I'm only set up with my FiOS streaming channels source, but I've got a HD Homerun on the way to set up with my FiOS service so I'll have that online soon.

I'm trying to understand the difference between the two AppleTV apps that I see in the app store. I installed the (free) "Channels DVR" app. I can see all my DVR recordings, and the guide data, and I can watch live as well (albeit only from the streaming sources now). I also see the ($25) "Channels - Live TV" app. What would I need the other app for? Are there additional features that I get with that app?

Based on what I see on the app screenshots my guess in the "Channels - Live TV" app just gives you access to the HD Homerun tuners (and maybe the streaming sources too?) if you don't have a separate DVR app running, so I probably don't need it, but hoping I can get some clarification so I don't need to spend $25 just to figure out that it doesn't do anything I already can do via the "Channels DVR" app.

Thanks in advance...

Since you have the subscription Channels DVR app is free. The $ 25 app is for use of Channels Live with a networked OTA Tuner like HD Home Run without the DVR Subscription

Correct--except for the "streaming sources" part.

Help please. New user today. I installed the HD HomeRun with antenna and then subscribed to Channels Plus. My NAS isn't arriving until next week. I downloaded Channels DVR without additional charge, but it won't work without the NAS. I can't seem to be able to download Channels Live without being charged $25, which I shouldn't have to pay as a Channels Plus subscriber. I'm stuck, and with AppleTVs as my STB player I can't get anything to my TVs. Any suggestions?

In the interim, you could install the DVR onto a different machine.

The Channels DVR app requires an installation of the Channels DVR Server to be running so it can connect to it. Unfortunately, the DVR app requires the DVR server, and the DVR server requires the Channels Plus subscription; you've missed the middle step, so it won't work right now.

If there is another problem—other than the delay from shipping—that is causing problems, perhaps you could share some additional details so a solution can be narrowed down.

When I first found out about the channels app I was in a hotel. I set the server up on an old HP laptop and was able to watch TVE channels on a firestick just fine until I got home. I don't think it takes much horsepower on the server side just to watch. Most of the work is done on client. So I think any old computer or laptop will do fine until your nas arrives. Mine was very old.

Short of installing Channels DVR on a temporary machine: Nope. The non-live Channels viewing app has to be able to locate a DVR, otherwise how is it to know you're a DVR subscriber?