Channels DVR with 4k fire stick freezing

I have these for Apple TVs that need to be mounted behind the tv. Work great.

TotalMount Apple TV Mount - Compatible with all Apple TVs including Apple TV 4K https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017K17PQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_NjBx9nIKwCibq

I've cleared cache, set to shared tuner, switched to 8mbps (from original) and I still get freeze and error message about network problem. But only with ChannelsDVR. BTW, I'm using the free version of channels DVR fire stick app. Does the paid version work better?

Free Version is the one to use when you are subscribing to the DVR.

1 Like

The paid version is a live TV client app for people who do not subscribe to the DVR service. DVR subscribers get free client apps.

Have you done the Channels DVR speed test ?

I just now read back through this thread.

You haven't told us much about how your HDHR tuner and your ChannelsDVR are connected to your LAN. Where are they located? How are they connected to your LAN? What operating system is your server running?

I HIGHLY recommend connecting the ChannelsDVR server to the LAN via Ethernet (rather than WiFi), use only Gigabit Ethernet switches/hubs (if you use any at all), and use a WiFi router with Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports.

I've been using channelsDVR for several years now all with Apple TV's. The server is a mac hardwired to my router. Not sure what operating system the mac is on.
My ATV's are all WiFi using Orbi mesh system. speedtest on my ATV's get 50-150+Mbps. The Fire TV 4k is WiFi connected with the Orbi mesh satellite 5' away. Haven't tested the Firestick speed but my iphone get 350+mbs right at the TV. All other apps (Netflix, Amazon, HULU operate fine)
My Orbi is gigabyte
thanks for the help

Please try with the android beta. If it still happens submit diagnostics after the freeze

Just updated to beta 106.25.56, does that include a fix for this? A few days ago I experienced a freeze while using beta 106.22.2231, so before updating just now I submitted server log 937d26cf-181a-479d-82c1-4a247fa80118 and also a log direct from the 106.22.2231 beta client. That last freeze happened a few days back when because I hadn't yet reduced the bit rate (which usually just delays these errors, and rebooting the device seems to help too).

how do you update?

Just tried 106.25.56, left it on Original quality, and saw a screen freeze within moments. The audio did not sound great either. Restarted the recording and it seemed to work OK for a minute. Submitted server log f75b50a6-43f5-4488-bdd4-7a901b98a7e9 and client log 56f7dd13-be0f-4cb8-a7e7-daac9ce0a56f

1 Like

Update from within the client by going to "Settings", "Support", and either "Install Channels DVR Beta" or "Update Channels DVR Beta". The beta app is a separate tile in your Fire TV apps list.

1 Like

Have you tried software decoder ?

Playback ... advanced ... Video Decoder ... Software.

1 Like

yes

That option does not appear, probably because it's on a small under-powered smart TV.

The Fire TV Cube is the only Fire device that has a reasonable amount of storage, through it's more expensive. I have 2 of them for that reason alone, and I rarely have any problems with them, while the 4K Sticks need more hand-holding and occasional troubleshooting.

My main Entertainment system has a FireTVCube ... Love the Voice control of my entertainment system without a remote.

I downloaded the beta and made no difference, might be worse. I uploaded several logs right after the freeze.
installing apple TV

1 Like

Tuner sharing. This will cause the buffer to be stored on the dvr, thus increasing it's size from the typical CCGTV buffer? Guess I should have gotten the hub...

No. The buffer is only on the client. With tuner sharing, the DVR acts as the delegate for tuning instead of the client.

1 Like