Channels DVR + Xteve / Telly

I can not for the life of me get telly to work.. I have it running. I can see the channels added, but when I try to stream them it won't stream.

Do you have FFMpeg = true in the telly config?

[Discovery] # most likely you won't need to change anything here
Device-Auth = "telly123" # These settings are all related to how telly identifies
Device-ID = "12345678" # itself to Plex.
Device-UUID = ""
Device-Firmware-Name = "hdhomeruntc_atsc"
Device-Firmware-Version = "20150826"
Device-Friendly-Name = "telly"
Device-Manufacturer = "Silicondust"
Device-Model-Number = "HDTC-2US"
SSDP = true

[IPTV]
FFMpeg = true
Streams = 100
Starting-Channel = 01
XMLTV-Channels = true

1 Like

Your Discovery section must match the template posted above.

i had it working... now i get this... ERRO[2019-12-29T22:17:15Z] Error starting ffmpeg error="exec: "ffmpeg": executable file not found in $PATH"

Is ffmpeg installed on the server running Telly? That error message seems to indicate it's not ...

1 Like

After checking this out..tveverywhere does not catter to free internet streams. You have to log in with your provider credentials. Free internet streams do not require any log in whatsover. I could not find NASA anywhere in the list box. Not one popular Religious US channel either. If I missing anything please let me know.

jfort,

Not sure if you figured this out yet, but you have to select and map guide data to your Telly channels within Channels DVR.

On the Settings Screen, select the pencil icon for your Telly source. On the next screen select the + symbol at the top, then enter your location and select a guide source to closely match what Telly is configured with. You can select multiple sources if you wish, for example, Local TV stations in different regions.

Thanks for your reply. I'm running Telly in a Docker on my NAS and utilizing the Channels package from the Diskstation package center. Took a lot of trial and error and got varied results when adding the Telly source, i.e. sometimes all of the channels were deselected when opening the settings screen, sometimes they were all favorited. I did map all of the channels using the pencil icon but they did not seem to take. I ultimately found that I had to re-download the guide via the guide database settings to get the guide to work after mapping the channels. Not knowing this at first, I spent a lot of time messing with the Telly config file thinking the issue was there. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to assign the channels a different numbering group to isolate them from my HDHomerun channels. No matter what I do, it seems that they are assigned 1,2,3,4 channel numbering instead of a start from 9000 series or similar (as per Telly config file example). Also, I'm afraid to reboot the NAS after all this work and find that my settings might not stick. Very happy to have this feature available (and kudos to the developers) but still a little unsure about the robustness of the settings window.

jfort:

Check the Channels version you are running. The issue with settings not sticking was fixed, I think early in December. This was very much an issue with earlier versions (check earlier in this thread). I am now on 2019.12.10.0134 and it's working fine. If you are on an older version, go to settings, then hold shift and click UPDATE.

The guide type you select, will not "stick" once you exit the mapping but the mapping itself will persist. If you don’t see your mappings, try selecting the same guide type again and they should restore. This actually makes it easier to user several different guide sources if you need to to get every last channel mapped out.

The Telly feature to start a channel umber at ####, such as 9000 works for me. Just make sure it's set correctly in your Telly config file. I think you also need XMLTV-Channels = true, but try it both ways. As I experimented more though, I realized that the guide mapping was totally dependent on the order in Telly using this approach. If your M3U changed and channels were deleted or added, the guide data was no longer correct.

I've now ended up hard coding channel numbers myself in the M3U files by adding the entry tvg-chno="####" to each line. I grouped them by type (locals, movies, etc.). I've done some testing and, while this has not been 100% confirmed by the developers, it looks to me like that guide data is now mapped to my selected tvg-chno, so if the M3U changes in the future, I think that I only need to make sure the channel numbers match the intended channel and the guide data should stay correct. I couldn't find a decent program to do this, so I ended up doing it myself in Excel. It was a bit of work to not mess up the M3U formatting but I got it working quite well now.

1 Like

I managed to update but I think I was already beyond the point of it making a difference. The key to all of the issues I was experiencing was to re-download the guide via the guide database settings. This seemed to cure whatever "apparent' issues I was having immediately after adding the Telly source and viewing the guide in the settings pane. Ater adding Telly as the source, followed by channel mapping the guide would display two sets of added channesl - the channel numbering for me was split - a series of channel numbers 1,2,3, etc. with no picons but with guide data as well as a group of the channels in the intended series - 9001, 9002, 9003, etc. but with no guide data. Once I re-downloaded the guide, the channels were consolidated to the intended numbering series with picons and guide data. I hope this makes sense. The moral of the story is that if things don't look right after you immediately add Telly as a source and map your channels, re-download the guide data and let the guide refresh before you waste any more time tweaking your telly config or your m3u lists. Thanks for your input dt126 and I hope this might help someone else. I can only hope this feature remains preserved (and matures) in succeeding builds.

how do i get the channels from telly to show up in the guide or the app?

i set up a few of my own HLS streams to run tv series 24/7, and have the playlist in telly and channels can see it...it loads, but it doesn't show up anywhere in the guide or "on now" so i can't tune any of them.

edit: they show up in the app but not on the web guide...

edit 2: one of my streams works on the android phone app w/ video but no audio, and crashes every time on android tv.

edit 3: nevermind, it's because the files in question are HEVC. i'll need to get to work on re-encoding them.

still hoping someone can tell me if there's a way to get them to show up in the web interface, though...

• Click the equivalent of where it says '83 channels':

• Click the '+' sign:

• Setup your EPG, country, post/zipcode etc
  • Manually map the channels, to the EPG
  • Add some favourites, by clicking the 'heart'

Ref HEVC, if you can find a way to edit the FFMpeg command in telly (it just copies the stream and puts it in a TS container, I think) it shouldn't be too hard to recode them to MPEG-2.

Is the web guide filter set to All? It should show up on the list

Manually map the channels, to the EPG

as i said, these are channels running my own media 24/7. there is no EPG to map it to.

yep. still doesn't show up.

can you share how you created 24/7 HLS streams from your own media? something id like to try. thanks.

the rest of that thread has some interesting ideas that the OP is said to be working on, including using ffprobe to work up an EPG. the comment i linked to is the basic instructions on how to get it running without an EPG, though. i've got four channels running right now and it's pretty awesome...some limitations (such as the previously mentioned HEVC issue and issues with subtitles on a few of my movie blu rays that i haven't sorted out yet), but it works really well otherwise.

hoping those issues are things i can work on over the next few days, and looking forward to the EPG that's being worked on...

2 Likes

Thanks, ill try it out.

@maddox, @tmm1 and @eric should really implement this into channels! instead of importing your own media like Ples, like it works now, 24/7 HLS of your media should be the differentiation in the ecosystem.

I noticed that I can only get Telly working by enabling ffmpeg. But as far as I know the steam itself is viewable by Channels without conversion. I have made my own hdhr emulator in python, this one does not convert the stream but it still works. I think this is because in my python script there is no redirect but I passthrough the steam. And Telly does do a redirect (301).

Is it possible for Channels to follow the redirect?
Or use the url from the lineup.json instead of the auto/v5 url?

No ffmpeg makes tuning into a channel faster

1 Like