Channels DVR + Xteve / Telly

Any one have some instructions for setting this up on my Windows server?

Honestly, xTeVe is super simple to setup. I have been using it for two months now and it works flawless. If you have any questions about it, hit me up.

Marty,

I currently have Telly set up and running well. However, it seems to still have the issue described earlier in this thread where favorites and hidden channels get reset when the server is rebooted.

I know that you are using Xteve. Are you having a similar issue with your setup or does it maintain all your favorites and hidden channels when you reboot?

Thanks.

The favs/hidden bug is a known issue. We have a fix that is undergoing some more testing and will be released soon.

I have no issues with that at all.

Once I figured xTeVe out, itā€™s been rock solid. PLEX at this point is the pain point.

Have you had any trouble with your IPTV provider shifting channels in their playlist or anything? I know that Telly could screw that up. Telly just numerically orders channels, there's no fixed mapping of Channels to numbers. So if another channel is added, all the channel numbers shift.

Hello Maddox:

I wanted to test this, so I set the flag XLMTV-Channels = true in the Channels config file. Then I created a small test M3U file with 10 channels and added in the field tvg-chno="###" with ### = 500 on the first channel through 509 on the last. I set up guide data in Channels DVR using one of the sources.

I then tried a few tests where I reordered the lines in the M3U file, deleted channels, and added channels. Each time, it seemed to be working as Iā€™d expect with the order in Channels following the channel #ā€™s I set AND guide data linked to the channel number in the M3U file, not the order in the M3U file. When I use an M3U file without the tvg-chno field, then it does exactly as you described and guide data is linked to the order in the M3U file. If you insert or delete a line it wrecks all the guide mapping.

I havenā€™t tested this on a larger file yet but it does seem to work.

I only have two issues with Telly + Channels:

1. The bug with Favorite/Hidden channels being deleted (which it sounds like is being worked on).

2. When using Telly, Channels does not ask me to select guide data. I can go in and set it and map channels, but it doesn't store this selection. It does keep the guide mapping and everything works, but each time I close and open the mapping window, I need to select the guide source again. Also, the channel numbers associated with that particular guide, such as [123] = HSN only show until I close the the channel mapping screen. The next time it's opened, it will show HSN (and the logo) but not the channel number 240. Sometimes I've found the data to be blank until I go in and re-select Directv as the guide source.

Xteve works differently. When I set this up, Channels asked me for a guide source and once I chose one, it stayed associated with Xteve. I could not, however, get the streams to play using Xteve (error = could not find codec parameters). I also has similar similar issues with favorites and hidden channels not working (with Xteve) so, Iā€™m going to stick with Telly I think. If there is any way to select a default guide source it would be welcome.

Thanks.

A new build of the DVR is out with a fix for the favs/hidden issue.

Hello:

I updated to version 2019.12.09.2122. I'm still not getting the favs/hidden's to stick. Is there something I need to do to "commit" the favs/hidden to memory?

At the moment, this is what I am seeing (using web UI) is that I can set some fav's/hidden using the pencil icon, then close the list. I go back in and they are still there. Then, I hit the button to refresh guide data, click pencil again and everything is still there. If I then go to guide, the favorites and hidden do not show and when I go to the lineup via the pencil icon, they are no longer selected.

Am I missing anything?

Also, I think I understand this correctly, but the favorites/hidden are the same across all clients, correct? For example, if I make a change on a Shield, this is actually changing the database on the DVR server, correct?

Oops, my fix was incomplete. Another build is uploading now with a proper fix.

Right now if you set fav/hidden on Shield, then yes it will propagate to the DVR.

Fantastic! It seems to be working perfectly. Thank you so much for address this so quickly.

I'm still impressed with how well your product works. I watch a lot of sports delayed (an hour or so I can skip commercials) and your skip forward and back speed is phenomenal (and I also use the feature which allows different times for sports vs other content).

It's faster than my last-gen DirecTV DVR's, Genie, or any others that I've ever used. Watching a program while still recording it really trips up many competing products but I've not had a single issue doing this with Channels.

You've also reduced my upcoming irritation of needing multiple services to replace PS Vue because now I can combine them into a single guide.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

What does this error mean? I was trying to watch one of the channels I setup with telly.

Starting transcoder for channel 10006 from XXX.XXX.XX.XXX. (encoder=h264_videotoolbox, resolution=720, deinterlacer=linear, bitrate=4000)

pipe:: could not find codec parameters

It couldn't figure out the audio/video format. Do you have FFMpeg = true in the telly config?

No. Changed that and it worked. Thanks.

Using this method to get UK Sat>IP into Channels, via TVHeadend (exporting the M3U). Works really well.

2 Likes

.... although I do end up with a lot of zombie ffmpeg processes, a restart of telly kill the parent and releases them. Will check the Telly github page and/or check the version I'm running.

There should be a fix for zombie ffmpeg in the latest Telly

1 Like

I do have a legitimate use case for using Channels for iptv. There are a lot of Intenet streams online I would like to use with Channels DVR. I don't use IPTV services. I have free streams from the internet....Like NASA, Religious channels, ....all free and legal to use.
Don't like the Telly or Xteve route since I have to run my computer 24 hours. I want to enter the m3u in Channels DVR server on my shield. Some of my streams are HLS. Would like to see you guys support HLS m3u8.

Many free to stream linear-programming feeds are available in Channels when you add a TV Everywhere source. This includes NASA, news and religious programming. Also included are many other networks that transmit on sub-channels of major broadcasters. (These streams are available at channel numbers 6700 and above.)

If there is a particular live stream you would like to see included, please email the developers with the information, including the webpage/URI where the live stream is available. Also, at this time only those providers offering a live stream of linear programming are supportedā€”meaning that the stream is available at a constant and invariable address, not something that may change or is dependent upon the content, such as with on-demand or individual/episodic content.

Got this set up with Telly in a docker on my Synology 718+. I get the the channels but no EPG. Any recommendations on tweaking the telly config file or IPTV playlist file to get EPG to work? Thanks