Channels for Apple TVOS. How do you record a show via the guide?

I am part of the beta program and have Channel DVR running on my NAS QNAP TS-251+. I just downloaded the BETA earlier today. (version 2017.01.10.0517)

From the Apple TVOS Channel app I am not sure how to record a show from the guide. Any ideas?

Why doesn’t the commercial skip work? Seems not to work for me even though I checked Detect Commercials.

I have been running HDHomeRunDVR for 8 months, but I must say you did a great job with Channels DVR. Very impressive. I am hoping that you include a KODI plug-in sometime.

Thank you in advance.

The beta app is not required. Use the regular app from the App Store.

You may need to restart the app. Click the TV/Home button twice and swipe up. You should be able to click on future programs on the Guide tab on your TV to record them.

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: QNAP Install issues

You don’t see a DVR tab?

Can you try unchecking and rechecking the Bonjour option on the DVR? What does it say under the checkbox?

that worked. Thanks.

Just a suggestion. It would be nice to have a record option when viewing a current show.

As an example, let’s assume the News @ 9pm is currently in progress. It would be nice that I could have an option to record that show even though it already started. It appears that you can only select and record shows that are in the future.

If you are watching a current show you can drag down on the apple remote and there is an option to record I believe.

is there instruction on how to record from the guide?

1. select the show
  2. click the touch surface
  3. click record

if it doesn’t work for you, you don’t have your DVR set up correctly.

It’s also important to remember this only works for programs in the future. Clicking a show that’s currently on will tune it like it always has.

Guys, not sure what is going on, but I cannot get any recording options at all! I have the DVR setup, running on a Windows HTPC with a JBOD attached via USB3, went through the configuration, pointed to that directory, can see the DVR tab in Channels on my ATV; however, no matter what I do, or where I go, I cannot get any menus at all referring to recording.

Please help!

Matt

On the web interface, in the tuners, does it say “add to Dvr” or show a your zip code and schedule?

LMAO! Wow, i’m an idiot… I didn’t catch that since it was already showing up, assumed it auto-discovered it and was using it…

Thanks, finishing the setup now.

Matt

It’s common. I wish that tuner area and the dvr path would be outlined in red until they were complete.

1 Like

Yea, that would help for sure :slight_smile: It’s running like a top now, can’t wait to check all the capabilities and playback.

I have to be honest, and transparent (even though this post is on the Channels forum), I really had high hopes to use the PLEX DVR system as I am heavy user of Plex in the house. I was incredibly disappointed to learn you actually had to hit a PC, visit the web, just to schedule your recordings! What a bummer. No way, no how the wife is going to come get on a computer, go hunt for a show, record it, then go back to the couch lol. Besides, with DirecTV (who we just ditched), it was a single button, so i’m trying to make it as easy as possible to adjust, and right now, Channels is a clear winner considering we use the app to watch live TV anyway.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

1 Like

Well, actually you will find a bunch of help with plex on this site. Yeah, use channels as the whole family viewer and DVR, and move/copy recordings into plex too so you can sort and find them along with your other non-DVR content.

Yep, that sounds like a nice idea.

I am still figuring out my ideal setup. I literally just set all this up last night. Using an HDHomerun Prime w/ the cable card and Channels on the ATV to view liveTV. Now that I go the Channels DVR setup and working, I do find it very slick and easy to use. Having it integrated into the guide and Channels app is priceless vs having to leave your “TV” app and go over to Plex to schedule recordings… To make matters worse, Plex doesn’t even support DVR functionality in their AppleTV App LOL… You have to leave the ATV all together, go to a computer and access the Plex web app… This is a HUGE PITA and a deal-breaker for me personally. Their guide and listings in the web app is nice enough, and would work, IF they could bring that into the ATV Plex app… Personally, I really hate paying $8 bucks a month just to have a record function, when I am in fact recording to my own storage :)…

As soon as I can figure out an alternative, I will likely cancel that subscription (I hate monthly subscriptions)… Plex is free (as a Plex Pass user), but having to go to a PC blows… lol

Thanks for all the great conversation and help.

Matt

well, I’m fastinated with that argument when discussing software. wether its Microsoft Word or Super Mario Bros., you have to pay for the hardware to use it.

Guess you and your family can decide after using it if its worth the $8 to not have “a HUGE PITA”.

Take Care,
Mike

Mike,

Do you pay a monthly subscription fee to open Microsoft word? I wouldn’t be opposed for paying a one-time fee for the DVR “software” or technology, but recurring $8 bucks a month to press record is excessive IMO.

Matt

actually I don’t pay monthly, I pay annually for MS Word (Office365 Home) in my house. its $99/year. and licenses all my family’s computers and mobile devices, gives me a TB of cloud storage as well as the online version of the apps.
when i was a younger, I played an MMORPG and payed $15/mo.

I noticed that Plex changed its price for lifetime from 75 to 150. (currently on special for 120). Its because they weren’t making enough money. Its also written on their website that they may develop new features that may or may not qualify as part of the lifetime benefit. So what happens to them when the money dries up with all the lifetime subscriptions, and those users still expect to get their channel guide? Pay-as-you-consume is the right way of doing business.

As the world more and more shunts advertising with comskipping and ad blocking, content creators must charge FMV for their products.

If your right and $8 is too much, free market forces will fix it. I personally dropped my Plex pass 3 days after installing it because it is a crazy nasty interface. I just use Infuse 4 (I didn’t take the infuse 5 subscription) now for my non-DVR video content.
$8 was an easy choice for my house, because happy wife=happy life.

Your last sentence couldn’t be more true LMAO! That is what i’m testing the waters with now.

$8 isn’t much money, but when you’re $8 for DVR, $8 for HuLu to get the on-demand back (since I don’t have a Comcast box), $8 for Netflix, etc… Those little charges add up quick. Seems like everything now-a-days comes with a monthly subscription associated. I’m not opposed to paying for what I use of course, just prefer free alternatives or alternatives I can make a one-time investment and own the capability.

I may decide to stick with Channels DVR; however, I like having everything centrally located & managed via Plex. I’ve been a pass member for ages now, and did pay the lifetime subscription when it was still at the lower price. I enjoy having the ability to centralize all our family photo’s, home movies, TV shows, movies, etc in one place stored on our NAS. In addition to that, some of those priceless items, like home movies & pics, I sync with Dropbox just in case. But, while at home, it’s cool to be able to hop into Plex and have quick access to all that, in addition a very smooth streaming option while out of the house.

My #1 goal was to have a single input on the TV control everything via ATV… So Channels was a clear-cut fav, bought the app without reservation.

Time will tell what works best for us, but the integrated DVR into our “Guide” is pretty tough to beat.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Like