Channels is Amazing! Linux not so much

Hello,
Just wanted to add my two cents… I absolutely love channels and everything you guys are doing (it was the first thing Wife approved!!!). I originally purchased a PC to run Emby, which didn’t work as well as I had hoped, and have since adapted it to linux to run my channels server. Channels runs amazing, and I have experienced no problems.

Although Channels hasn’t been a problem, I must say Linux has been a headache. Every time I try and run a command prompt for different things (not channels related), I always hit a road bump (Not asking for help as they have all been solved).

I understand running channels on OSX would quickly solve this problem, however that’ll mean a new PC. It’d be nice to see Channels ported to Windows for this reason. I have read that this could be in the future for channels; so I just wanted to give my +1 for it.

Thank you Developers for an amazing product. You guys are truly a godsend.

• Tony
1 Like

Thanks!

We are working on porting the software to windows, but there’s a lot involved to make it happen.

1 Like

Greetings,

Not to be derogatory but WinBlows b y MMI (Microsoft Malware, Inc.) simply cannot hold a candle to Linux. This isn't a matter of personal preference as I like Ford & You rather own a Chevy. MS is an Evil Empire that simply knows how to market. I suggest you spend a bit more time in the Open Source Community and learn how to optimize & tweak your Linux system. Don't be so quick to jump ship. It's well worth the effort. BTW - if you ever want my help I'd be happy to help in anyway I can. No Charge! I have over 40 years in the business & can likely offer something. I don't claim to be the smartest guy in the room and b y no means do I have all of the answers, but 90% of the time something improves and/or I can direct "where to look" Be well & don't give up ... :wink:

1 Like

Alot has changed since this post 4 YEARS ago....i mean...realy. ok revive an ancient thread.

But, all i say, now, one does not have to know anything about Linux in order to enjoy the benefits of a Channels DVR server running on it. All you have to do is get a Raspberry Pi 4 kit, and flash the special Channels DVR image to a fast usb stick or best a usb 3.0 ssd drive, boot from that, and its done.

Or use a Linux-based Intel NAS -- just load Channels DVR and away you go.