Channels listing issue

I'm running Channels DVR 2019.10.19.0202, I have Android 2.1.14 on an Nvidia Shield and a Firestick 4K, this morning I noticed something odd when sorting On Now and Guide channels between All and Favorites. For tuners I have a HDHR Prime, HDHR Connect and TVE, they are prioritized in that order. The channels these tuners have in common are CBS on the Prime and Connect, NBC on all 3 tuners, Fox on the Prime and Connect, PBS on the Prime and Connect. When I filter by Favorites I get the channels I have set as Favorite, when I filter by All channels NBC and Fox on the Connect are not listed, channel 6000 NBC on TVE is not listed either, it's like duplicates on lower priority tuners are ignored, but oddly I see both PBS channels. Another oddity is the CBS channel on the Prime tuner is DRM, I have that channel set as not included at all but it shows up in the All channels listing. When I view all this in a web browser I see channels as they should be when set to the All and Favorite filters, this seems to be an Android app issue or maybe I'm just missing something.

Duplicates will be dropped from lower priority sources. The reason for some not being dropped like PBS is most likely they do not appear to be duplicates in the DVR.

Regarding DRM Channels and maybe SD Channels on your Prime or Connect. I found it best to disable them at the HDHomerun level so they do not show up in the DVR or Clients.

Browser: my.hdhomerun.com

The duplicate channels on lower priority tuners will be used automatically when you tune the channel and the higher priority tuner is busy

Thanks for the answers!

After playing around with this I think the way this is right now is wrong. If I filter to see all channels, I want to see ALL the channels available to me and be able to select the one I want, same for what I have setup in Favorites. Is this a change you'd be willing to make? Explain to me why it isn't this way, it is in the web version, why not in Android?

Circling back on this, I still feel the same way, let me decide how the channels are displayed and what to see. Is this just an Android thing? When I view Channels DVR in a web browser every channel displays. Sorry, doesn't make sense to me.

Not true, just tried it and got an "All Tuners in Use" message. I'm playing ABC live on HD Homerun, tried to tune to the same channel on another TV and got the message, next priority tuner is Locast then an HD Homerun Prime. In this situation I can't pick ABC from another tuner that isn't busy because it's not listed in the guide, this is why I think not showing all the channels I have is broken.

There’s no plans to remove the stacking feature of channels in the lineup.

Presentation in the web admin shouldn’t be contrasted with the Channels apps. It’s considered more of an admin tool than a Channels experience.

No. It sounds like you do not have tuner sharing enabled. By default the client apps will open their own separate tuner for live viewing. If one client/TV is viewing ABC live on your HDHomeRun, it is using a tuner. If you attempt to tune ABC for live viewing from a different client/TV, then it will also attempt to open a different and separate tuner on the HDHR.

To alleviate this, you can enable tuner sharing on the clients. With the feature enabled, all streams are managed by the DVR server. So, when the first TV requests an ABC live stream, the DVR opens the connection and forwards it to the client. Next, when the second client/TV wants to also watch ABC live, it will request it from the DVR instead of getting it directly from the HDHR. Since the DVR has already opened the stream, it will use the existing open stream and forward that to the second client.

(Channels' default operation is different from what most people expect DVR systems to do. That is because originally Channels was not a DVR product, but merely a live viewing application. Because of this, the default behavior of the clients for live viewing is to completely ignore the DVR aspect of the system.)

1 Like

That's perfect! Thanks for the tip, it solved my problem.

1 Like