Channels on Nvidia Shield Pro with Onkyo Amp

Hi guys,

Strange thing happening. I have an Onkyo amp connected to our LG Cx and a nvidia shield pro connected to the amp, channels DVR is hosted on a qnap nas. I have noticed with surround enabled on shield and video decoder on the shield set to hardware if we're watching a live TV programme the sound is fine when the adverts come on the sound goes off, only way to restore sound is go to settings and change video decoder to hybrid. Go back to program (adverts) and sound is restored. Any ideas?

One thing I'm not sure of is, do I need surround enabled on shield if I'm using a surround amp?

Thanks John.

Are you set to auto in the advanced sound settings on the shield? Stereo up mix to off? Strange behavior for sure. Does this happen on ota or tve or both?

Hi @Rice

Yeah it is odd, even stranger is if when I turn off surround in channels, surround is still passed to the amp but my other issues dissappear so I've left it turned off.

On the shield system audio settings surround sound off doesn’t work like you think. With surround off it really means pass through. The shield won’t decode the audio, it will send it untouched to your amp. Your amp will decode and display Dolby digital if say the ota program has it. If you enable surround the shield will decode and send audio to the amp, in this case your amp will display pcm audio.
I assume the surround setting within the channels settings works the same way. Off means send it down the line for the decode. You want all these off and let the decode happen on the device that is really made for that, your amp. Depending on which shield you have, pre 2019 shields don’t have the licenses to decode many audio codecs. If you turn them all off and your amp is showing Dolby digital 5.1 on a modern ota prime time program this is what you want. Tve channels are in stereo not dd5.1. Your amp will probably show dd plz which takes stereo and simulates dd5.1