Channels Picture Quality really bad compared to Plex

I have used Channels on AppleTV for over 5 years but for the last couple years I had started using Fubo for local channels. I recently cancelled that service and to my surprise when I went to use Channels again, the Picture quality is very low res and looks highly compressed. When I attach my HD HomeRun Extend to Plex, the Picture comes in nice and clean. I have tested Channels on several AppleTV's including the 4th Gen and 4th Gen 4k.. with the same results. I have attached pictures of what I am seeing. Left is Channels, Right is Plex. Both on the same AppleTV both using the same Tuner. What am I missing here? I prefer using Channels over plex for my live tv content.

Edit: I notice that I have the same low quality picture when using my iPhone and iPad with Channels as well. Plex looks great on all the same platforms.

Is your Streaming Quality set to Original in Settings?

I have scoured the settings and I don't see anything where I can set the streaming quality. I see I can manage my HD Homerun Extend settings for transcoding and under playback settings for Channels I see options for Video Driver, Audio Driver, and Decoder Quality. None of those settings seem to make a difference. I am guessing I am skipping over some setting somewhere.

Thank you for the suggestion.

2 spaces i see references to quality.

1. On main server settings page. Scroll down. Towards bottom-ish.

2. Client settings there is a option. Screenshots attached

3. This is a stupid question. You are on wifi streaming on local network. Not connection through internet remotely.

Or ethernet?

1 Like

I don't have the DVR service as I am only using it for Live OTA on my AppleTV. I don't have any web players that I am aware of. I am connected via ethernet and not using wi-fi on the AppleTV.

Edit: My iPad and iPhone are wireless, but Plex looks great on those as well. Just not Channels for some odd reason.

Thanks again guys.

Are you using the version from “a couple of years ago”? Is it up to date?

Okay I figured it out. I am using the latest Channels app.. however, I logged directly into my HD Homerun and saw there was a firmware update that I hadn't noticed before. I updated and now everything is back working the way it should be. Apologies for the fire drill. I do appreciate everyone's help!

2 Likes