Channels says "Scaled Resolution: 1920 x 1080" for a 4k stream on a 4k TV

Checking out Texas v Bama on fios channel 1496 and it says that it's only showing in 1080. Using my verizon fios cablecard. It's with a Hisense TV over quickconnect if that matters.

The stats are wrong in the stats when using android tv. The overlay renders at 1080 but the actual video is displaying in 4K.

1 Like

Seems like this issue has been known for quite awhile. Why won't channels fix it so everything is accurate. Otherwise, why make the stats menu available at all if you can't believe the data?

2 Likes

As I understand it, the bug is with how Android is reporting the resolution. If that is indeed the case, then this is something for Google and the Android engineers to fix and out of Channels' hands.

Why is it a bug in Android when I watch YouTube the Stats for Nerds are Perfect also Emby so how do you figure it is a bug in Android ? ... Sounds like a bug in Channels DVR.

I cannot speak to YouTube or Emby and how they get their info, which info they present, or the level of parity with Channels, as I use neither app. I was stating my understanding from previous posts made by the developers.

It is possible the disparity is coming from Avcodec/mpv instead. However, as noted in the second post, it is the overlay that is rendered at 1080p over the 4K video; and IIRC, Android TV's UI is only 1080p, not 4K, which puts this discrepancy in Android's court.

So you can have the Overlay be 1080P but still report the correct Stats. The overlay can be 640x480 and still report the correct stats.

The reason it reports this is because ALL android TV, including Fire TV, renders their user interface at 1080p, not 4K, so this portion, which is UI, sees this as the resolution.

Video output, which is separate from the UI, is 4K.

The only smart tv platform that renders at 4K is Apple TV. Just another reason people like it.

2 Likes

I've noticed this is now happening on one of my Apple TV 4K's, but not the other. Same movie file, you can see one is showing as scaled down, the other isn't. Both Samsung panels are reporting that the video is in 4K HDR in their info panes, but for some reason on of the instances of channels is reporting a downscaled resolution of 1920x1080.

I've looked through settings and I can't see anything immediately obvious that would be causing this. Both ATVs are identical, same firmware, same cables etc...

You second one shows Display FPS: 50.000 and the first one shows Display FPS: 23.979

Different settings?

good pickup, I was able to get the frame rates matching, but the reported scale issue is still there.