Charter Spectrum and the Channels DVR with a Cable Card

I'm guessing there is no way to know if a channel blocked out by TVE would also be blocked out with HDHR Prime short of actually doing it? It's a serious PITA to have Spectrum remarry the cable card to a new device (and then possibly put it back in the Tivo). Wish it was simply plug 'n play....

Not that if Spectrum in your area uses DRM then most channels via the PRIME won't work with Channels.

So you are saying Spectrum makes TVE deals based on the area and if you have TVE access then you won't have DRM if you get a prime?

No. For instance, in my area, many Discovery network HD channels were marked with DRM (Cooking Channel, DIY); I could get the SD versions without DRM, but the HD channels were flagged. With TVE, I get the 1080p streams. Those DRM flagged channels were unavailable to Channels.

With DirecTV, my package includes the PAC12 networks with their receivers. However, DirecTV does not include TVE access to those channels.

TVE agreements are secondary/additional to your subscription package. Just because an operator includes a certain channel in your lineup, does not mean that you will also have TVE access to that channel. Conversely, just because a channel is not available to you via TVE, it may be in your subscription if you use their cable feed/CableCARD.

DRM is a completely separate matter. The OP hasn't run into those issues because TiVo's hardware and software are CableLabs certified. However, Channels' software is not, so it can not access the DRM channels, even if you subscribe to them.

Ok my question is Spectrum TVE access should be the same across the board regardless of DRM, but the OP isn't getting them

"Thank you, appreciate the info. When I input my Spectrum credentials into Channels for TVE I notice that most of them are unavailable to view, including locals"

Right. Just be you subscribe to a cable channel, that doesn't automatically mean you get TVE access to that channel. TVE agreements are separate from from cable package. That's why I used the PAC12 example: it is a channel I subscribe to and receive via DirecTV, but those TVE channels come up as Not Authorized.

It's possible Spectrum has different TVE agreements depending on your region (i.e. depending on who the original provider: Charter, TimeWarner, BrightHouse, etc). I'm not sure though.

Correct I talking about Spectrum specifically

Could be. When I sign in it just says Spectrum and get access to all content. I don't know about other areas when you select Spectrum if it just doesn't authorize.

My service area is Austin and it used to be TIme Warner before Spectrum bought them out. It baffles me that a channel I subscribe to, pay for and has been filtered through a tuning adapter and cable card cannot be viewed and/or recorded on Channels. Why is TVE even being talked about in this scenario? Channels should see HGTV or AE (or whatever) as a paid for filtered and vetted channel. I’m not accessing it through TVE. I’m also paying Spectrum monthly for their cloud DVR so I’m allowed to record. What am I missing?

Can you sign into those channels directly through their website? What plan do you have? It's not a traditional plan if you have their cloud DVR.

Cable channels may be marked with different levels of DRM:

• Copy Freely – This is essentially no DRM.
  • Copy Once – This is what most DRM-flagged channels are. Essentially, only certified devices running certified software with a fully encrypted path from cable input to display output can view or record these channels.
  • Copy Never – This means that you can view the DRM channel, but cannot record it. (This is generally only used in rare circumstances for PPV events and such.)

I believe there are other flags, but those 3 are the most prevalent. The Prime is CableLabs certified, and SiliconDust's software is allowed to view DRM channels on some of their hardware platforms. (SiliconDust's software cannot record any DRM content.)

TiVo's devices are certified by CableLabs, and they fully support all these flags. (You'll notice a difference if you recorded a "Copy Once" channel: you won't be able to copy that recording off your TiVo for viewing on your iPad or computer.) Similarly, cable company STBs are likewise certified.

(Most cable companies now are moving to their own proprietary IPTV schemes delivered over their cable lines to avoid having to go through CableLabs and support CableCARDs.)

Channels does not support the decryption necessary for viewing and/or recording DRM content, so it will not even present DRM channels in its guide.

If this seems ludicrous to you, you're right. The cable industry is a blight upon the earth. It'd be great if the US market worked more like other (more) civilized nations; but alas, this is what we have.

I have Spectrum Choice which is great! 10 channels of my choice, all locals, tons of music, cloud DVR and accessible on every tv in the house through Roku or Apple TV. All for $35/mo. That said, the experience through TiVo with the cable card is fantastic but pricey. TiVo is also limited to the main TV unless I fork over $ for some minis etc.

Channels with a cable card through HDHR Prime coupled with my NAS is the perfect solution, if only it would work. Why is everything related to cable such a clusterf***?

Anyone here know if Plex DVR software suffers the same fate?

I'm still not understanding why you don't have TVE access, you should get it with Choice. I get all Channels except a few locals and don't have a cable box

To the former: because in America we let whoever pays the most money into campaign coffers make the rules.

To the latter: Yes, Plex, Tvheadend, NextPVR, MediaPortal, MythTV, and all the rest all are subject to the same issues. None of them support DRM channels from the Prime.

The only DVR software that has ever supported both playback and recording of DRM content is Windows Media Center.

1 Like

What area are you in? Apparently from reading here different areas along with former providers (TWC for my part) have different rules and access. TVE is mostly blocked for me.

Central Florida. I know some rules are different, but you should still have TVE access. What does it say when you try to login into the HGTV website? How long ago did you start the tv service?

I’m kind of posting all over the place out of anxiety. I have that Streaming Choice package. I wanted to record my locals via Cablecard. I have the Prime now, waiting on the Tuning Adapter. I’ve read here that Spectrum has locked even locals to DRM. Since I can record all but one of my “choice” channels via TVE, locals is all I care about. But if this is all for nothing, I am wanting to know about DRM and Locals.

Quit spreading FUD. You have no details nor experience to support your fears yet. And even if you did, your meager experience and lack of understanding of the technologies in play can lead others into confusion.

Has your cable operator stopped you for receiving your local channels as you have claimed? If not, stop posting that this is your current situation.

First off. I have a very good understanding of the systems in which I speak of. DRM and it’s use is an ongoing learning experience however. I was asking about locals and their status under DRM.

You are just being a bully. Period. When there was no reason to be. Removed my other post for this one. However perhaps some understanding and consideration would be nice. Personally I have Aspergers, and it can lead me to be anxious. I’ve always found being kind and understanding went a lot further.