Charter Spectrum and the Channels DVR with a Cable Card

Do you need a tuning adapter for locals?

Locals can't be DRMed. If your HDHR is reporting a DRMed local, you likely can complain to the FCC, and get it fixed. I did this personally for a couple of locals that were DRMed in my headend.

What does your HDHR channel list say for the problematic ones?

2 Likes

That’s what I was told. I’m waiting for it to arrive. I’ll see if it will work. I hope it’s not a waste of time. I have no idea how old my HR Prime is either since I got it off eBay.

All channels in the HR GUI app show encrypted with the CableCard only.

Do they have "DRM" on the right side?

Just to be clear - they can encrypt channels (this allows them to go all-digital), but they can't DRM them. There is a difference.

This gives a good breakdown.

1 Like

None say DRM. Just Encrypted. This is WITHOUT a Tuning Adapter.

Yep, the "encypted" piece isn't what I'm after - go to your HDHR's web-based gui, then channel lineup, to see "DRM" stats.

It won’t let me scan.

Everything is connected. Since it sees the channel stream data.

Interesting - I haven't had the "privilege" of a tuning adapter yet. Let us know what you see when it arrives.

Privilege? Some have said I don’t need a tuning adapter for locals. But Spectum said I do.

it's individual-network specific. I have Spectrum for locals. I don't need one, but that doesn't mean you're in the same boat.

Not for nothing, but it may be worth calling Spectrum out to resend your authorization to your cablecard. Can't hurt.

1 Like

So you’re saying my CableCard could be bad? So these locals shouldn’t require a TA?

i wouldn't go "bad" yet, especially if they are sending you a TA, but it's just a case of your channels entitlement maybe being wonky.

1 Like

Same. I have OTA for "most" locals. But I can't get some of them. Also my mother needs cable. I have Spectrum Choice (A-LaCarte) package, and cDVR. But that's hers. I use ChannelsDVR, TVE, and now CableCard. I too only care about the locals, as I can record cable from TVE just fine. I'm on the phone with Spectrum now again. They wonder if the activation isn't going through right. It doesn't help the PCMCIA card has a dent in the bottom of the casing. If I should be getting something then I want to know. I have NO premiums, or channels that are beyond basic cable either. Sure recording from there would be nice. But It doesn't matter to me where Cable channels come from. But Antenna based locals HAVE to come from Spectrum.

Does your locals come in HD without the TA? I'm in a Charter legacy market too. So SD versions are in the basic cable number range. HD are 702+

Yes, I do not have a TA at all, and get all locals and the Select channels in my list.
But that doesn't mean your market is the same.

I would absolutely have them confirm the authorization. These things are squirrelly on a good day, so it's worth making them absolutely confirm everything is matching what they see

The card wasn’t active correctly. Now it’s working. All channels show up. Even better NO DRM!! Still need a TA for BBC WSN.

1 Like

Excellent. Now join us in yelling at them if they ask to take them away :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since I REALLY only care about locals. If they did that, I just use TVE. But now my issue is how to tell ChannelsDVR to use the HD version of the channel first.