Choose which EDL format is exported

In a nutshell, I'd like to be able to choose which format of the EDL files is exported to sit alongside the recording (EDL, FFmpeg metadata, VideoRedo, etc.)

I see Comskip is configured to output the FFmpeg metadata format as well as the EDL format, but only the EDL file is exported from the location in Logs/comskip/nnnnn to sit next to the recording.

Since I convert the mpeg-ts container to a mkv container as part of ingesting the recording (into a Plex hierarchy) it would be handy to have the FFmpeg metadata format available, since I'm doing the container conversion using FFmpeg, so I could merge the chapter info into the mkv container in one step.

I would imagine users of VideoRedo would prefer the Vprj format files, too.

@Paul.C how are you doing this today? Iā€™m trying to figure out how to take the Channels DVR generated EDL file and create chapters for Plex to skip past the commercial breaks.

I see that now Channels DVR saves the ffmeta in the logs/comskip/#/ folder. Are you using that with your own script to export a file with chapters for Plex?

I ended up writing something to convert edl files to the 'chapters' format that mkvmerge accepts with the --chapters option.

You can find it here, if you think it would be useful:

1 Like

@Paul.C This was on my list of links to check out! I've downloaded the files, but how do I use this on an existing edl file?

@Paul.C I also submitted an issue to GitHub asking.