Clarify Xfinity TVE documentation

I setup my system yesterday and ran into the 2FA issue with Xfinity. Like others who've posted before me, I entered the credentials, and it seemed like TVE was scanning the available channels. Instead it was bombarding my Xfinity account with 2FA requests, and I received dozens of codes texted to me.

I searched the forums and found I needed to either disable 2FA or create a sub-account without 2FA enabled. I chose the latter, but removing the source and re-inputting my credentials in TVE didn't stop the in progress scan with the 2FA account. I wound up restarting the machine to break the cycle, and now it works ok with my sub-account credentials.

Since this is a known issue and doesn't seem like it's on the radar to change, perhaps it would be useful to add text to each known 2FA provider with the same text that's used in the forum when users ask. For example, on the Xfinity credentials entry dialog, a Red "WARNING" with the following text: "TVE does not support two factor authentication (2FA). If your account currently uses 2FA, either change your account to remove 2FA or create a sub account (insert link here) without 2FA. If you skip this step, TVE will request multiple security codes from Xfinity and will possibly lock you out of your account." (or something like that).

Is 2FA for any provider supported? I don't believe so; and if that's the case, making a special exception to clarify just for Xfinity doesn't make sense.

Which is why I said to add text for each known provider. Looking through the forums I see there are posts describing the steps to deal with 2FA on specific providers. Some or all of that text could be incorporated into the selection menus for each provider, or a general warning could be given at the top of the TVE selection menu. Either way, the current process is to try it with 2FA, get locked out of your account, find the problem in the forums, and then try again after unlocking the account and fixing the 2FA issue.

I do the same (secondary viewer account).
There was no documentation when they first launched TVE.
Now they have support articles on their website

What you're talking about is also mentioned in the first post here which is linked to in that article

When you add a TVE source and click the Learn More button, it opens their support articles.
Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 09-07-16 Channels Settings

Now that I know it's an issue it seems obvious to look before leaping, but with most websites 2FA is standard, so I don't personally think it's obvious 2FA wouldn't work. Why would I feel like I need to learn more when I know my provider and credentials?

I'm just offering this feedback as a brand new user who ran into this trouble. I feel like I'm a reasonably experienced internet user, and if it tripped me up, it's likely to trip others up.

1 Like