Client device recommendations?

So CDVR identifies some TV recordings as movies, and then everything else as something else. And then we can view the list of movies, but the other stuff is all clumped together in "up next?"

Hopefully, they are still working on this logic.

I'm trying to figure out how to explain this to 80 year old people so that they can find a program that was recorded last Thursday.

Everything on Channels is TV. It puts movies that aired on TV into a separate section, probably due to the fact that movies have different guide images from gracenote.
What other stuff is there?

If you select the "Recently Recorded" tab, the 9 most current recordings are shown. If there are more than 9 recordings, on the bottom right is a blank tile with the legend of "More" (I believe) when selected. Selecting that tile will present all of your TV recordings groups by program; tabs across the top will allow you to sort those recordings by date recorded, title of program, or by date aired.

Can I have that tile show by default, so there is a simple list of the most recent recordings? Or better yet, can I just get a simple list of every TV recording that was made in a list, by default, most recent to oldest?

Imported movies from a user's archive?

That feature is pre-alpha. The devs have already mentioned there will be UI changes to support it better as development continues.

Do you suppose they might appreciate our input?

1 Like

How about for the base UI? Are they taking suggestions for that?

As stated by @maddox in the aforementioned link, they developers do not currently want any feature requests for the importing of movies (and possibly TV shows) until they have made more progress on feature themselves. It is current pre-alpha, and most definitely in a state of flux.

The developers have stated that the current interface to this feature is nowhere near what they would like, and I imagine that internally they are iterating over it until they have something ready for a beta announcement. So, as the developers have requested, please hold off on requests related to this feature until they specifically solicit them. That not only includes how the imports are handled (including scraping/matching titles), the interface for managing them via the web UI, but also for the presentation within the client devices' UI.

Is there a screenshot or a photo of what the UI looks like on all these various devices, maybe even a Youtube video review of them?

It looks exactly the same. Except you can add a ton more movies by importing them.

So, it isn't entirely clear from your last couple of posts. Are they not taking suggestions for their new movie import interface?

That's exactly what @maddox's post was about.

Ahhhhhh. Thanks. You're such a great helper around here!

Unfortunately, after purchasing numerous Android device, it would appear that a few months later, the developers are primarily focusing on Apple devices. This is merely an observation, but after getting no response from the developers on whether their latest changes to the client UI would come to Android, I would have to recommend that users don't spend hundreds of dollars on Android devices.

1 Like

It all comes to the other supported devices eventually. But if you want to test all the beta stuff asap, you could buy an Apple TV for testing. And your Androids will still continue working. If you really don't want them anymore, sell them on eBay.

Apple devices (tvOS/iOS) have always been the primary target. All features are first developed for those devices, and then brought over to Android. This has always been the case, and the developers have so stated several times in the past that this was how their development cycle worked.

While the Fire TV Stick 4K is probably the best supported Android device that retails for less than $100, the AppleTV devices will always be the client device that receives the most attention.

I have the FireTV 4K prefer the New FireTV Cube.... So it is a matter of preference. If you only use Channels the AppleTV 4K is ok but I use the HDomeRun App and KODI. I find Apple TV too limiting.

One thing is for sure, the developers were very honest early in the thread, clearly indicating that they develop for the apple devices ... I guess cost maybe isn't a factor.