Client device recommendations?

The HDR "launch" in general has been botched about as bad as 3D. First they sold 4k TVs without HDR, then introduced HDR10 followed by DolbyVision and now HD10+.

I'm all for competition but sometimes they need to just set an industry standard and stick with it. Get rid of all these different connectors and half baked HDMI-CEC implementations... Use usb-c for everything, and call the communication USB-CEC without the option for re-branding.

It will be nice when TVs have 5 usb-c ports and nothing else, or even just a SINGLE usb-c port with a separate hub for video and power input.

I'm not either. And it's not like I don't have exposure because my wife and daughter use iPhones and iPads.

I'm always perplexed by the choices Apple makes. With Apple, at first you're amazed by what their devices/software do, and then you're amazed by what they don't do.

1 Like

Yeah I was amazed at first but compared to what you can do with Android it falls short.

After just short of 2 weeks with an ATV 4K, both myself and my wife agree it fall's short of the FTV on many fronts.

This is not a reflection on Channels itself in any way, as to be fair to the devs the app functions perfectly on the ATV 4K, there was no stuttering or image issues at all on it, until the FTV decoding issues are fixed the ATV video experience is superior. I do prefer the layout / I am more used to the layout on the FTV than the ATV but the actual viewing experience on the ATV is fantastic.

That's about where the good news stopped for both us of, the remote was awful to use to such an extend I bought one of these:https://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes/urc-7935-streamer-remote which improved the experience but had more buttons than I really required, felt cheap and was still far from the usability, comfort and quality of the FTV remote.

I also liked the in app info that the ATV homescreen brought you which worked well quickly jumping to a program in channels however many other apps did not implement that feature quite as well such as plex which just kept taking me back to a black screen after logging in. It would be nice to see this feature brought over to other streaming devices so allow you to navigate an app without actually launching it.

I really wanted to love the Apple TV, but overall my wife found it more difficult to navigate and less responsive, I think a much better designed remote would really benefit the ATV but even with the same remote I would still pick the FTV as it stands. Especially when FTV 4K's can be had for £25 quite often, yet the ATV 4K plus an additional remote is £210, ok for a single TV but I want one connected to every TV!

Now I just need Amazon to fix the decoding issues that seem to have gone very quiet! If they can get that sorted apart from the ridiculous amount of Amazon advertising I would recommend the FTV 4K as a client device.

1 Like

Agree I had to return mine for the same reasons you stated above. It was my first Apple product but I prefer the Android experience over Apple. I will be looking for another ShieldTV during Prime if offered.

The developers need to bring the ATV Channels APP on Par with the Apple TV.

Has anyone grabbed the new Shield TV Pro and have some idea if it's worth it? I notice that at its launch the older Shields are only discounted like 10 or 20 bucks, and some reviewers claim the newer version really isn't that much better.

For Channels DVR, would it be worth the extra $50 for the pro version, or just grab the standard version for $150?

The shield standard version is running 32 bit Android and cannot run 64 bit Apps. So I would go for the Pro Version.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/325488/attention/

I really like the new FireTV Cube it controls everything on my entertainment center also I can view my Cameras on my TV.

So what would be the current recommendation for the cheapest client device that works well for CDVR?

The previous version of the Shield is now $190 and comes with a game controller. Any reason to skip the new version and just grab the older version?

Cheapest? Probably Fire TV Stick 4K.

Yep

I hear you get what you pay for.
"client that works well for CDVR"
Aren't there still issues with the Fire TV Stick 4K ?

The only existing problem I'm aware of has to do with hardware decoding of interlaced H.264/AVC (MPEG-4 part 10) content.

There has also been an update that addressed this that fixes most issues, but there are still a few small outstanding ones. For US users this isn't really a concern. For UK users this may pose an issue as some OTA broadcasts are encoded as interlaced H.264.

Gotcha. Don't own one, was going by memory.

So hardware decoding of interlaced H.264/AVC (MPEG-4 part 10) content would only apply to HDHR 480i and 1080i channels and playback of same type from the new Movie (and hopefully soon to be) TV Imports?

True. But nearly all H.264 content (at least what you would most likely have your recordings/movies in) is progressive (ie, 720p, 1080p). Transcoded streams on an Extend may be passed as interlaced, depending upon which level of transcoding was chosen.

Also, the Fire TV Stick 4K's software decoding is perfectly fine, and has no issues with decoding any content, including interlaced H.264.

Not necessarily true for imports (pre-Alpha right now) and some current recordings from an HDHR Prime where the broadcast is in 480/1080i.

If it's an imported pre-Channels DVR recording in 480i/1018i, or a current Channels DVR recording from a HDHR Prime in 480i/1018i.

Can't wait until interlaced is killed. It's a carryover from CRT days. Then it's time to convert all those interlaced files or dump 'em. :grinning:

But I digress.

I don't use a firestick, but agree it's an inexpensive way to attach multiple viewing portals (TV'S/monitors) to your Channels DVR server and/or HDHR Tuner.

Are any US cable providers transmitting interlaced H.264? I know Comcast has switched most of their feeds to H.264, but they're all progressive I believe. Other providers (like Spectrum where I am) may transmit interlaced content, but it's all MPEG-2, and that bug was fixed back in June/July.

I think you're correct. My current Comcast H.264 feeds (at least those I've recorded and checked so far) are 720p, progressive. But am seeing mpeg2 480i & 1080i recordings as interlaced. Will have to check more recordings.

Still leaves open the new import option and playback, but as I don't use firesticks... I'm not in that game.

There are some but it's pretty rare. @maddox has some interlaced h264 coming in on FIOS.

After loading up Channels DVR app from Amazon on the FireTV stick, under the DVR heading, I see "Movies," but not "TV," when looking for shows already recorded.

The TV programs are shown in "Up Next", "Recently Recorded", and if you have any that fit the category, "Kids".