Closed Captions REcodings

Ive done a couple of tests where I have turned CC on shows that display them and set them to record. However when I replay the recording, they aren't visible.

I have done this on the Apple TV, on the server and iPad with the same results. This is all local viewing. I dont want want transcoding either local or remotely.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

You have to enable the CCs when you play them back. When you start playback, press Down or Menu, then move over to the Language tab. From there, select the closed captions to display them.

(Of course, this presupposes that your recording contained closed captions in the first place. Channels records files exactly as they're transmitted; if there were CCs in the original, the recording will have them, too.)

Thanks man yeah got it sorted. It is showing up on all the devices.

I'm seeing some TVE streams coming in that appear to be missing captions (none available in channels and mediainfo doesn't show any in the file either), Ovation channel for example. Is there anything that can be done? It's frustrating for folks with compromised hearing.

If closed captions are not present in the recording, they were not present in the original stream.

You can contact the stream provider and request that their web streams include closed captions. However, this is something that is outside of Channels' control.

1 Like