Combine Multiple Tuners Together

I use 2 Primes connected to TWC. Been considering getting a Connect as a backup because TWC flakes out here pretty regularly. 3 separate times in the last 6 weeks or so for about 24 hours each…get a decent credit on my bill every time it happens if I call and complain. :slight_smile:

I have two tuners, Connect and Extend, with two antennas. Combining then would simplify the system.

I have 4 Primes, 1 Extend, 2 WhiteBox Duals.

This would be useful if the items can be grouped (selected) manually if needed.

The issues I can see happening would be the following scenario:

• Some regions have many clearqam channels (ex many fios regions) and there are some users that may not have CCs in all their primes.
  • On my duals and the extend I have them connected to antennas pointing to different directions. This would mean that not all channels would show up with the optimal strength if they are combined.

Also, in my case the software MUST use proper tuner locking since for now the tuners are used by: Channels, SDDVR, WMC, InstaTV pro (Android and IOS), SD Apps, and DLNA Devices (PS3 via DTCP-IP DLNA, XB1/PS4 via DLNA)…

Yes, great feature. I have a Prime and an Extend.

Yep. I use a prime and a Connect. I live in the New York Metro area and get New York local channels via cable. But I'm a Philly sports fan, so I have a db8 antenna up on the roof and it allows me to pick up Philadelphia broadcasts (70 miles away).

I'd love the ability to merge the channels so they're all in one section. I noticed that the latest version of the HDHomeRun Mac application does this already (I'm seeing all my channels in one place from both boxes). It looks like how they handle channel overlap (different channels with same number) is that the cable channel 3 is recognized as just 3. The antenna (Philly) channel 3 is seen as channel 3.1.

I love this app and this feature would make things even better.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I hope you folks have noticed this news story (link below). Basically, it looks like the FCC is going to require the cable and satellite providers to build apps for AppleTV, Roku and any other device which has sold at least 5 million devices. It would seem that it could be a major business opportunity for Channels (to perhaps build the required app for the cable and satellite companies)

That's two years out, at the earliest. But it gives you time to build a business model that takes all this into account.

http://www.consumerreports.org/telecom-services/final-fcc-set-top-box-proposal/

Count me in for this feature too. I would use it with two OTA antennas, because I have major markets in two different directions.

For me, I would also need the ability to pick channels from each tuner box. You rarely get a signal that’s 100% on one antenna and 0% on the other, so it would be useful to say that I should only try tuning in “this” station on this tuner and not that one.

In case you’ve never looked at this problem, you can’t simply take two antennas and point them in two directions and feed them into a common tuner. It MAY work depending on the geometry and the distance between the antennas, but in general you get all sorts of wonky results. Using two HD’s is a way better solution, because it completely isolates the two. Sure, costs some money, but no more than amplifiers and such you might otherwise need.

1 Like

OK I asked for it. Because my antennas also pick up from the backside selecting which tuner has priority does not work for my setup. I guess what is really needed is the ability to channel by channel choose which tuner to use.

@bbishop just disable the non working channels on its tuner and things will just work, the bad channels will just be ignored. You can disable a channel the same way you fav one, just click one more time.

With this ability and being able to set tuner priority, you should be able to strategize any way that you need.

This feature is now available with the new versions of Channels released today!

1 Like

Wow. The ability to have multiple tuners tweaked to pull in different stations and then combine the tuners into a single list gives a lot of opportunity for customization. Very cool feature set.

1 Like

More info on this new feature can be found here.

So I’m a bonehead. With more than 40 channels I did not scroll down far enough to see the other tuner channels.
Alll is good.

@tmm1, maybe a dumb question, but I just bought a second HDHomeRun Prime; does the DVR function straddle multiple HDHomeRun boxes? Great software, thank you

Yes the DVR works great with multiple hdhomeruns.

1 Like

I have 1 Prime and 1 Extend because I only have 5 devices. I’ve not been able to get both visible in Channels at the same time.

Even if you click the scan network button?

I want to install two HD Homerun Prime. Do I also need two CableCards or somehow daisy chain them together?

You need one cablecard per device. Or you can wait until this summer when SiliconDust releases the 6-tuner version of the PRIME.

1 Like

Thank you.

Yep. Once the 6 tuner is out I will probably replace my two Primes and save the $10/month for the second card.