Commercial detection for imported movies

Is this supposed to work? I have some movies that were recorded by channels that I brought via import from an external drive. How can I get commercial detection to work for these re-imported movies? I've used "Fix Incorrect Match" and "Regenerate Video Index" but "Redetect Commercials" doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there a way for me to save the commercial information when I originally copied them out?

The imports feature is in beta and does not have a way to scan commercials. We did not anticipate needing it. Can you tell us more about where you're importing from?

Since the dvr doesn't know if there are commercials it doesn't make sense to waste CPU scanning every import. But we can probably make the Redetect button work.

There already is an option on the imported movies to redetect commercials but it doesn't do anything.

My NAS running channels only has so much space. I've recorded a ton of movies and want to archive them to a spare USB drive that will occasionally be available via a mount. Since the movies came from channels I already have them processed for commercials. I copied the mpg files to the USB drive, deleted the movies from channels, and then imported the same files back. I'd either like to reprocess them for commercials or export them out with the existing commercial info. I guess your assumption was that imported movies don't have commercials.

Hmm, interesting use-case.

Instead of imports you might have been able to use the secondary location feature instead, but now that you've deleted them from the dvr database that is no longer an option.

Another use case:

When I switched to Channels, I had about 1TB of recordings from Tvheadend. The TV programs I imported into a Plex library. However, for the movies I imported those into Channels. (Most are either Hallmark-type of TV movies or documentaries.) Having those integrated is handy, since they were recorded from TV anyway. Being able to check those for commercials and having them indexed for playback within Channels would be nice.

This is exactly what I wanted! My deleted movies were in the trash so I'm still good with that. I was able to add the extra path and it shows correctly in IP:8089/dvr but I don't see a move option on any of my recordings. Where is that supposed to be?

No move option.. you simply drag the mpg files to the secondary folder.

Also I've made the Redetect Commercials button work on imported movies in the latest DVR pre-release.

2 Likes